Light-O-Rama Forums

where does everyone get their LEDs (no transformer, no RGB)

patrickj

I use plain incandescent strings and I'd like to start swapping them for LEDs (non transformer types, no RGB style LOR kits.. just straight 110AC cords). Where does everyone get theirs? I've got roughly 40K to start switching over. I've looked all over ebay and everything I'm seeing is the programmable kind.

Creative Displays (creativedisplays.com) is what you will see mentioned the most. There are others who sell LED's, including myself, here on the forums as well.

There are (at least) two other vendors who sell identical lights as CDI.  One is Magic in the Sky lighting and the other is Holiday Light Express.  They all have their pre-season sales in January, and they all do thing differently.

When I first got started, people in the know recommended online vendors for their lights.  Now, I'm in the know, and I recommend the same thing.  There's lots of people who do just fine with whatever they can scrounge from their favorite local stores.  That's great.  I used to buy incans that way myself.  For years.  I even have a few sets of store-bought LEDs still in my display from the first year.  From the moment I handled and plugged in my first set of commercial quality full-wave LEDs was the last time I bought anything else.

For someone who's converting from incans to LEDs, you'll want to make sure you can match the colors of what you buy now with what you'll be buying a few years from now.  I know I've got plenty of lights from 2008 because that year I bought plenty.  Except for green, which took mfgrs a while to get consistent, I can't tell any difference in color between any from then through now.    

Edited by George Simmons