Light-O-Rama Forums

Share folders

aesl1982

I have lor set up on three computers. Desktop, home laptop and travel laptop. Is there a way to link all three together so if I'm playing around on one it talks to the others. Without always having to have an Internet connection

If they are all on the same network, you can enable the security to allow them to talk to each other via wifi or wired connections. Its a pain to accomplish all of that though and its much easier to just use a flash drive.

You could save all your media files and sequences in Dropbox and be able to access it from all computers.   But obviously you need either the internet or a network for computers to talk to each other. 

• Like 1

Dropbox has LAN sync. So long as the computers are on the same network, the files *should* transfer between computers. (Haven't test it. Could be dead wrong.)

+ on the Dropbox recommendation.  I used to carry my stuff on thumb drives, but it was a pain keeping track of where it was.  Dropbox rocks!

I have a network hard drive and use Goodsync to sync my travel laptop, desktop, and show laptop. I primarily sequence on the desktop and sync it to the network drive, then sync it to the travel laptop. If i have time to work on sequencing while out of town i just sync it to the network drive when i get home. When it comes to showtime i sync the show laptop to the network drive. If i need to make any changes i can use the desktop and do the sync thing.

I recommend archiving folders the same way on each computer you use.

For example:

C:// (YOUR NAME) Lights /

and under that:

C:// YOUR NAME Lights/ Audio

C:// YOUR NAME Lights/ Sequences

C:// YOUR NAME Lights/ Visualizations

And when you transfer files over to another computer, if the computer are archived properly, all the information will work right away.

+1 on thumb drive/flash drive - .zip folders for emailing or what-not: will make it easier to send.

Do what is best for you though.

I tried the zip folder but windows 8 makes you accosiate a email with it. And I dunno how to link my yahoo email to windows 8