Light-O-Rama Forums

Note Capture

kevin

I have seen a few sequences out there that have the channels marked up as notes or as differant instruments.  How is this done? 

Some I have seen the actual note i.e. C#, F, etc while on others I see where there may be 10 bass channels, 10 Piano channels, etc.  What program is being using to create these files?  And how are the channel effects being populated?

One of the most recent ones I saw was BobO popcorn demo with SpEx2.2.  I see how he used SpEx to find the keyboard notes, but still don't understand how the clipboard from SpEx transfer to the LOR file with the notes channel created and populated  Is there a config file that matches up with SpEx keyboard notes.

Thanks

SpEx has to be able to scale the sound to the matrix rows and columns specified.  They are all different sizes.   So SpEx has several ways to combine frequency ranges.  The smallest frequency range is a note or key on the piano keyboard.  A regular keyboard has 88 keys numbered 1  to 88.  SpEx has a zero also for all lower frequencies  and also has 89 to 112 for several octaves higher than found on a piano.  SpEx also scales the volume to match the matrix using percentage.  So high volume for a note will fill the bar whether it is 10 to 100 pixels. 

If you want to see the volume for each and every note,  define a matrix which has 113 columns.  SpEx will be able to tell that no consolidation of notes needs to be done.   Then create the EQ effect clipboard. 

Open the clipboard in SE and paste it into your matrix. 

This EQ effect in no way knows the instrument frequency range and doesnt know how to isolate one instrument from another.  Most music has a lot going on with harmonies and chords so the piano notes are very hard to isolate.   Some songs like popcorn lend themselves to this because there is not much overlap in range by instrument.   Others may have the voice as very prominent foreground with the instruments in the background.   Yesterday I completed all the notes for a Josh Groben song.  But in general  SpEx is best at 'auto sequencing' the EQ effect to be in perfect time with the song.

Kevin    I have answered your questions on PC forum as well.  Lets consolidate and converse here only please. 

Your profile says you have been an LOR user for 12 years.  So I know you are very experienced.   It will click with you soon.  

If you want to share your .lcc config and the audio you are trying to obtain notes for I will get you started and do a video explanation for you.

Thanks Bob,

I have seen so many files out there lately using a config with channels marked up as notes or instruments, I thought someone may have figured out something new.  I did watch your SpEx video and plan to look into that more for next year, since this years time is pretty well gone now. Your Popcorn example was impressive.  I was trying to just get the piano notes out of the Let It Go song.  Mostly just the piano solos and not so much the entire song.  This year I  found the MIDI version of the song and used that to create MIDI timming marks for the piano and was able to get a somewhat good extraction for the keys beat anyway. After the season when it slows down I will pick your brain some though on a few ideas that I have, to see what your thoughts are on if it can be done or not.

Thanks

Kevin