Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16 Problem

Denny

I submitted the following information to the support desk, but since they are probably inundated with questions this time of year, thought I might be able to get some guidance from the forum.

I have a 7 year old CTB16 that is not giving me any status led, that is, the led remains dark, no flashing or steady indication.  I checked the fuses and they are good.  When power is applied to this controller, all circuits come on at full power and do not go out unless I remove power from the controller.  It is located in the middle of a chain of other controllers and all controllers in the chain work, but erratically and not as sequenced.  I run two LOR networks as well as E1.31; all other networks are performing properly.  I have reseated the ICs with no change.  This is the same controller that I had to do a reset on a couple weeks ago.  Don't know if I can do a reset again since I am not getting a led status indication.  Later today, I plan to remove the controller from the chain and see if it is the cause of the erratic behavior on the network.  Any ideas on what could be wrong with this controller?

Status light does not come on for anything.  Heard from the LOR support desk already; those folks are quick even in this busy time.  They had me do a test and think it may be the communication chip. 

OK, discussed further with tech support.  One further test showed it was a cat5e cable.  That blew me away, no indicator light but all other controllers did have the comm led lit solid.  Replaced the defective cat5e cable and everything works fine.  Checked those cables with a tester before installing them too.  However, according to tech support, the inexpensive cat 5 testers only check continuity and resistance can change on the wires.  However, in my case, I was only getting an intermittent open at one of the connectors.  Checked good with my tester even after I removed the cable.  Hopefully, the problem is permanently resolved.  Will see in a few days.