Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Rookie - Recommendations?

CovertRain

Hi guys.  I was debating to dive into some RGB lighting to do some cool color changing, chasing FX etc.  I know many smart people here have already gone down that road.

I read many of the faqs but I am still a bit confused.  Not looking for something overly complex.  This will be an experiment of sorts.  Maybe just put some RGB lights on the two front eves of my house and integrate with my existing 16 channel controller.

Any recommendations?  Should I get the LOR RDG Controller add on with light strands and start there?  What about a single Pixel strands?  Will that work with my existing controller and accomplish what I want?

Maybe I should steer clear of RGB and just do it with regular lights and additional controllers.  So much to consider.

Sorry for for the noob questions but I just got started in this stuff for Halloween.

Edited by CovertRain

I have all LED and this is the first year using "dumb" RGB ribbons (8 = 24 channels). From now on everything will be RGB and if you have the funds "smart" RGB are the way to go. I did order all from LOR and used their controller with no issues. Just had to order a power supply, enclosure and some cordsets along with the RGB ribbon lights.

For 2014, it's way too late to add RGB.  I had planned to add it to my display this year, but I got sidetracked with other things in life and it's just not going to happen...even though I have all the hardware I need.  From the research I've done, it will depend how much DIY you want to do.  "Smart" RGB won't work with a standard 16 channel LOR controller, it's a different set up.  You can do it DIY and save a lot of money, but it takes work.  Other options would be to buy the LOR products, such as CCR, CCB, etc...they are much more plug and play. 

For this year, I'd stick with what you have, then start all the reading into how to build/program/use RGB.  Good luck!!

Nah  its not too late!    If you are doing a roof line or porch columns and just want to color chase you can do it.       A matrix for scrolling words might be too hard for this year. 

Get the Cosmic color BULBs which look great and are easier to mount.    They are not as directional as the pixels which require precise placement. 

I have all LED and this is the first year using "dumb" RGB ribbons (8 = 24 channels). From now on everything will be RGB and if you have the funds "smart" RGB are the way to go. I did order all from LOR and used their controller with no issues. Just had to order a power supply, enclosure and some cordsets along with the RGB ribbon lights.

I found this here:  http://store.lightorama.com/cc100busetwi.html

I wouldn't need the power supply and enclosure I am guessing if I bought this unit.  From what I gather, programming smart versus dumb is harder and I am looking to keep it as simple as possible but don't know all the limitations of each.

What can't I do with dumb vs smart?

By the way, this community is awesome.  Seriously, I wouldn't have been able to dive into this without it.

Nah  its not too late!    If you are doing a roof line or porch columns and just want to color chase you can do it.       A matrix for scrolling words might be too hard for this year. 

Get the Cosmic color BULBs which look great and are easier to mount.    They are not as directional as the pixels which require precise placement. 

Oh, thank you for that.  I was wondering which to go with.  I don't know if either of these strands will cover my front eves of my house.  I am going to measure those eves today.

Edited by CovertRain

If you want simple cosmic color bulbs are the way to go. Just plug in the power cord & connect it to your Lor network.

You can treat smart pixels like dumb ones this year till you get the hang of it. Then later you'll have the ability to do chases across your eave or wherever you have them.