Light-O-Rama Forums

how do you mount the control boxes

Old Sarge

Are large washers used, a flat stock piece of metal inside the control box to help keep bolts etc. from pulling threw the box or prevent it from being ripped of what it is mounted on or what.

I am looking for ideas to mount the control box without having to spend so much on the metal pre made mounts. I know there has to be cheaper ways that will work just as well.

thanks for the responses in advance

Sarge, I use SS hose clamps and mount on a pole or pvc or rebar.  On the back of my residential controller, there is a curved area, then with a sharp box cutter, I dig out (cut into) the plastic and run the clamp through.  I am looking for a photo.

Ross

Plastic Residential LOR Boxes?

Use screws thru the mounting holes. They are plenty strong.

You can drive a pointy 2 x 4 into the ground, or get fancier from there.

tj

This is how I mount mine. In a storage shed actually 2 of them. I am running 18 controllers this year. Second shed also has security camera HD drive and monitor.post-1968-0-48127100-1416058175_thumb.jp

• Like 5

This is how I mount mine. In a storage shed actually 2 of them. I am running 18 controllers this year. Second shed also has security camera HD drive and monitor.attachicon.gifIMG_0020.JPG

I prefer to have mine all scattered through the yard to keep the runs to the lights short. BUT with that said. Ifn I was to have everything in one place. Then redsea you have got to be the winner of how to do it right. Didnt read your post, but I believe when I did the first time some years ago. You said you had installed lighting in the shed. And when the show is over. You just disconnect cables. Get the handy two wheeler under it and cart it off to the storage shed. Love your design of the power shed.

I've got 70+ control boxes spread out over two yards.  I mount the controllers on anything and everything that's handy.  If nothing is handy I pound a metal fence post stake into the ground and hang them there.  Despite them being in plain sight, viewers never seem to even notice the controllers.

You might have specific security concerns where you live.  You know your neighborhood and area better than I do.  But I can't remember more than 2 threads over the past 7 years addressing controller theft/vandalism.  It never hurts to be extra careful, but don't spend any time overthinking the situation.

• Like 1

I actually remove all controllers from the shed and put back in original boxes and store in our basement. It has better weather condition than just leaving in an outside shed. I fill shed with 12 containers of cords. Each container has 20 cords in them.At least some of the cords are stored in there. MAking the switch to RGB and using less controllers now. I have 28 total only using 14 this year.

redsea - wow, really nice power shed. It's so cool to see how other people do their shows and their setups of the shows.

I'm with Max-Paul and George - sorta, kinda - in the middle. I scatter controllers somewhat close to my props, but I still keep them close to the house. I haven't had security issues yet, but I plan ahead a little to help keep the punks away.

So Sarge, to answer you're post, yes, if using the plastic pc boxes, I use washers. I also went with buying controller stands from Wowlights. They are a little pricey as you stated, but gives me a place to mount the pc box, a weatherproof outlet box, tie up my cat5 cables and cable-lock them to the ground with screw-in anchors. After Christmas, I just roll up the cat5 and the power cables onto the stand and stow them away. HOWEVER - I'm only at 4 controllers. When I'm at 70 like George, I probably will have to carve the controller mounts from tree branches to keep the cost down.. :P

Here's how I mount mine:

controller_zps7630090b.jpgcontrollerbellboxjpg_zps5ccb9d42.jpg

Cool. lots of good knowledgeable answers here. I have three right now but will be getting my 4th in a couple days from wow lights.

I really don't have to worry about them getting stolen or vandalized where I am as no street or road goes in front of my house. My shows etc. that I am working on is basically seen right now just by a couple neighbors and my family and friends that come over for Christmas etc.

Kinda my Christmas gift to them plus is something for me to do sense I retired from the mil to help keep me busy. 

(I Like the Colored flashing lights and music, :D:lol:, especially after having one beer to many while sitting here trying to seq. music...LOL)..

Really, Its fun to do and I do not plan on living here in the middle of nowhere for ever and this way when I do move to town I will have a lot better ideas about how to store everything and keep my display and the people watching it safe..

Thanks to all who responded to my question..

(Chuck) Old Sarge

If I build a singing face prop i mount the controller to the back of the prob and leave it there from year to year. Others I use large steel poles, I drill holes in the box and use 3" exhaust clamps for car exhaust. For the ones near the road I run aircraft cable to the big tree just for some added security

I like the actual steel frames you can get from a couple of vendors. It makes for an easier installation even though they cost. Now I don't have 70 controllers or anything like that...I do have 12. Most are doubled up together on one mount. Due to the weather possibilities here, I cover with black bags and velcro the bags closed enough to keep them over the controllers. Keeps the snow and ice out off them. I don't really have any risk of someone stealing them here like other places in the country and if I were in those areas, I would be thinking of something better...rebar buried horizontally in the ground with a solid steel bar coming up with a way to attach to the frame that can't be disconnected easily. Chain it to a tree!

Usually I mount it to the house, or if it is in the yard, I cut a piece of a 2x4 and pound it into the ground, then I take a piece of plywood or another 2x4 piece to make a mont for the actual box. Has always worked great for me. And I just put the screws right into the box. No washers or anything. Wouldn't be a bad idea though.

I just buried a 24" long 2" diameter schedule 40 PVC pipe vertically which i will keep capped most of the year to prevent the open end of the pipe from filling with debris. During the lighting season, I remove the cap and use the hole to support a 5' length 1½" diameter schedule 40 PVC pipe. So 2' of that pipe sits below grade in the buried 2" pipe, but 3' remains above ground as a pole. I mounted 2 controllers to that. When the season is over, I just lift the 5' pole out of the 24" buried pipe and store it away.

3 on each mega tree, 2 for the tree and one for other stuff.

8 of my mini trees have controllers under them (I use a 5' fence post pounded into the ground and place the tomato cage on that to keep them above the snow)

I am thinking all the extension cords are worth more the a thief.

SFC or most likely CSM,

Most people mount the controllers on a pole, I have gone a different route. Durring Halloween Walmart sells black plasic containers, afterwards they are cheap. I put my controllers in the containers with 2in holes cut out for the plugs. I run all wiring into the container then seal the holes with hot glue after all testing is complete. I know my pro controllers are water resistant but in 5 years I haven't had issues. I live in a wet portion of Louisiana so water and moisture are a constant battle. On a plus side I leave the controller in the container after the show and the lights it powers. So set up and tear down are easier.

I screw a piece of wood horizontal or vertical to the plastic style controller box. That way if I put screws or hose clamps on/off during setup and takedown it's off the wood not inside the box

I just screwed mine into a small piece of plywood that I screwed into the house over the summer when we painted the house. Mount controller there for season and when I take it down the mount stays and no one is the wiser.