Light-O-Rama Forums

Need suggestions ...what to try next

Clay Collier

I am connecting my display and the hardware utility recognizes the first seven controllers fine (although I had to change controller ID on #07 to #08 to get it found), but can't get it to find units 8-13 (have tried to change ID's on those as well). I have solid red LED on all units. Could the Cat 5 cable between unit 7 and 8 be bad or have a poor connection and still have a solid LED?

Any ideas as to where I should go next will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Clay Collier

I would first make sure that you have "Max Units" set high enough in the HWU.

If possible, I would start at the first controller you can't see, and connect the computer directly to it. If you can see everything down the line from there, then I would suspect a bad data cable from your unit 7 to unit 8.

Another thing to keep in mind.

If your controllers have the ID switches those switches are in hexdecimal (base16). The max units on the HWU is in decimal. So if you have your switches set to 13 that is actually unit decimal 19. Again, make sure as Don stated that your max units is set high enough.

Chuck

Yes, a bad cat 5 cable can cause a situation where the controllers LED is solid but the computer cannot see it. I had that happen two days ago. Swapped the cat 5 out and everything was fine. As Don has already stated above, it sounds like your issue could be the "Max Units" in the hardware utility.

cmoore60 wrote:

Another thing to keep in mind.

If your controllers have the ID switches those switches are in hexdecimal (base16). The max units on the HWU is in decimal. So if you have your switches set to 13 that is actually unit decimal 19. Again, make sure as Don stated that your max units is set high enough.
Chuck

Funny thing ... I forgot that when assigning my controllers this year. Assigned on to number 11.... slight panic when I was missing on via a refresh of the HWU.

Thanks for all the suggestions...

It wasn't a cable problem or a max unit problem...it seems that one unit I used last year took exception to changing it's ID. So after a reset, it appears to be working (at least in the hardware utility). Hoping to go live in a couple of days (weather permitting some more install).

Thanks again,

Clay