Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Floods and CMB24D - HELP!

Maine Lights

Was checking all of my controllers this evening and was good until I got to my new CMB24D controller.  I bought the RGB floods and controller package during the summer sale.  This is my first year using RGB and the new board so if this is a simple fix sorry in advance.  So I was able to find the controller is the HW, but when I tested the floods 2 would not work.  I switched the outlet cords and found the issue goes back to the controller.  Do I need to change something in the HW utility to test this board?  Than when I went into test one of my sequences none of the floods would work.  Any help would e great, still have a little time, but starting to stress.

I have four of the CMB24D boards.  I don't have any of the LOR floods, but use plenty of RGB, so guess this will just be general guidance since I am not exactly sure what you mean about switching the outlet cords, etc.  First thing, the RGB terminals on the board are for the negative leads from your RGB lights.  You should have one negative connection per color in your floods.  There is only one positive connection for each channel.  The CMB24D switches the negative contacts to light your floods.  Sorry I can't be of more help: I'm sure someone with the LOR Floods can give you much more advice than I have.

Yes your post is riddled with holes. Clean your mind and read your post. Does it really explain what your problem or question is. And then fill in the holes so we can see what you see.

You said 2 floods did not work.

I'm making lots of assumptions - but I think the kit was for 6 floods.

I'm guessing you only have power to half your board ( because that would power the first 4 floods only )

There are two sets of input terminals on that board - you need power to both ( there is no jumper like on the AC boars you are used to )

If that's not your issue - did you try swapping positions on the board between a working flood and a non working one ?}

To add a little here....the CMB24 supplies +12Volts out to the lights. On each group of channels, 3 per flood, it supplies varying levels of -12VDC to each of the R,G,B wires for each flood. This is how the colors change. Each group of 4 wires are connected to both the controller and the flood. Look closely at the board and you'll see the designations. One board has 24 channels but they are in groups of 3, therefore 8 RGB devices.

Make sure the HU is set to 24 channels and not 16. This is if you are using 8 floods, if so with 16 the last 2 wouldn't work.

Let me rethink this, I was pretty stressed last night.  So I bought the CMB24D board, 8 of the RGB 10 Watt floods and the LOR power supply (12V, 200 Watts) on the website.  I will start when I set up my sequences (I have the Standard Version) it did not give me an option for the CMB24D board so someone told me to just enter the LOR board and add the channels to go from 16 to 24 and than convert them to RGB...I did that.  So I was testing all of the controllers last night and setting the Unit IDs, I got to the CMB24D board last and tried to do the HW Utility and was only able to get 6 of the 8 floods to work.  Below is a picture of my setup.  From the board pigtails 7 and 8 have no floods working, and flood 6 is red, while 1-5 are white.  Is my power supply not large enough? 

Next wen I opened up a sequence I had completed I had no RGB lights.  Do I need to turn something on to make this work?  Like I said this is my first time exploring the RGB world so I am quite new at it and appreciate any help.

Not sure on how to paste a photo in here...otherwise I would.

Edited by Maine Lights

Gizmomkr, thanks for your help.  So the kit was for 8 floods and the power supply from LOR says it is good for 16 RGB Floods.  I have two sets of leads from the power supply going to each circuit "bank".  I tried swapping the floods to see if it followed the floods or the CMB24D board and it followed the board.  Thanks for your help.

Larryk5, how do I change this...I think this might have something to do with it.

Not sure on this, but you say you have the Standard Version of the software.  I don't know how this works, but the Standard Version only allows you to control 8 controllers.  Don't know how LOR classifies a controller, that is, 8, 16, or 24 channels.  If you are trying to do more than 8 controllers, maybe the software is preventing it.  In any case, go to support and open a trouble ticket.  Generally, they get back to you the same day you contact them or at least the next work day.

If this was a bank left versus bank right. Only the first 4 floods would work.  So, I suspect that this is a software issue. 5 floods and a additional channel would only give you one color on the 6th flood. This would be a 16 channel issue and sounds like what you are having troubles with. So it appears you do not have this controller properly identified or your not properly setting up the channels. I wish I could say I have one and have played with it. Maybe someone here can tell you just what you might have missed. But it is clear that something has not been  properly set up to take advantage of all 24 channels.

If this was a bank left versus bank right. Only the first 4 floods would work. So, I suspect that this is a software issue. 5 floods and a additional channel would only give you one color on the 6th flood. This would be a 16 channel issue and sounds like what you are having troubles with. So it appears you do not have this controller properly identified or your not properly setting up the channels. I wish I could say I have one and have played with it. Maybe someone here can tell you just what you might have missed. But it is clear that something has not been properly set up to take advantage of all 24 channels.

Max. Thanks for you help. I know someone said in the HW utility you need to get a 24 channels. When I searched for the controller it says unknown device just like the other controllers, but I have been told in the past this doesn't matter.

Edited by Maine Lights

I saw the message, unknown device a couple of times earlier this season as I was setting up. I refreshed again immediately and then it reported the correct controller types.

I'm looking at my HU now! I have 8 LOR floods running from the same board, only difference is I'm using a 350 PS, and that won't make a difference. I'm using S3 Advanced 3.11.2 and the area under "Select Circuits to Test" has 32 channels, of which 24 are checked.

I noticed under your user name that you list version 2.9, if that's what your using I dont think it will work!

In S3 I can add the channel to the sequence by right clicking on the last channel in the sequence, choice add a device below. I thins point I chose the CMB24D from the list, name it, set unit id, set channels to 8 RGB channels, than ok!

I think your problem is software realted also.  I think you will need to upgrade in order to use this controller.  Open a traouble ticket with LOR to confirm this before you purchase an upgrade.  Tell them what version software you have and the controller type.... I think an upgrade is in your future.

All thanks for your help.  I am running 2.9.4 Standard.  I ran into an issue last year where I had to upgrade the license from Basic to Standard.  Does anyone know if I go from 2.9.4 to 3.... if I will loose all my sequences or will they still work?  Thanks for everyones help, I put a help ticket in on Sunday evening but still have not heard back from LOR.

You shouldn't lose your sequences and the should work. That being said, before you upgrade, backup backup backup!

Edited by larryk5

Oh yeah talking to experience with backing up...lost 6 months of work last year.  But you think that upgrading they will still open up.  Thanks for everyones help.