VU wizard question

medman2000

Ok, so I want to use VU wizard to get down some timings for the first 8 seconds of my song.

I create a new track, create a channel "bushes" and run VU wizard multiple different ways - each time the VU wizard creates either timings or "channel on" + timings for the entire length of the song, not just the first 8 seconds as I selected. Later on in the song I don't want the bush following this pattern, nor do I want to have to go through and turn off each of the "on" marks created.

Am I missing something? How can I use the VU wizard to give me only timings or only "channel on" for the portion of the song selected instead of messing up the channel for the entire rest of the song?

I'm sure there is an easy answer, but after an hour of this I give up.

Thanks!

medman2000 wrote:

I'm sure there is an easy answer

The easy answer is: That's a bug!

Thanks for pointing it out. Until we can get it fixed, here's a workaround that I hope will mitigate it at least a bit:

Make a new (temporary) track.

Run the VU Wizard on that track.

Copy the timings and events in the time range that you want from the temporary track to the real track.

Get rid of the temporary track.

Thanks again.

Gotcha, thanks! In track 1 I have all channels. One is called "whitebush". I create temptrack1 with "newchannel" and use VU wizard - creates events and timings for entire sequence on "newchannel" - I copy timings for the first 8 seconds.

I create track2 - and copy channel "whitebush" to track 2. I then paste timings - it works, adds new timings but leaves the rest of the sequence alone. I then copy/paste the 8 seconds of events from "newchannel" to my "whitebush" in track 2 - events paste and leaves the rest alone.

Perfect! Works!

Thanks -

medman2000

What I like to do is use a track for each timing method: One divided by .05 seconds, one that I tap in (maybe more than one, if there's more than one way to tap things out), one that the beat wizard generates, one for the VU wizard, if I use it, etc. Then I figure out what each element is going to respond to at each point in the song, and use those timings. If I had the VU wizard auto-generate events and I didn't want them in part of the song, I'd just use the "off" tool (actually I never use the tool, I just use the "f" key-cut) and erase it from that section, and program in what I really wanted in another track.

Hope that helps, I'm new to this LOR II stuff myself but it's worked well for me sor far...

-Tim

Tim - great tip - at this point trying anything to shave some hours off of my work time to get everything running this weekend. Thanks!

Funny but not really sure how to use this feature.

Tapper, no problem. Beat Wizard, piece of cake. Setting times, been doing that for years.

But the VU Wizard am not sure I understand how to use it.

Robin wrote:

But the VU Wizard am not sure I understand how to use it.

Robin, remember that arcade game Wack-a-mole?

Think of the VU wizard like this: every time a mole pops his head above the ground a timing event is created. The threshold control lets you pick how high the ground is.

In other words, if you were watching a vertical VU meter or bar graph jump up and down in time to your music, you could tell LOR to make an event every time that meter hit the first red segment in its display.

In addition you can fine-tune how it reacts to the incoming sound, how sensitive it is, which channel to watch, etc...

Make sense?

Cheers,
Charlie