Light-O-Rama Forums

Running on Mac

Argonauts23

I run Parallels on my Mac (Windows 7). When I launch LOR control panel to set up, it won't allow me to create the folder for sequences, then says LOR wasn't installed correctly. Uninstalled and re-installed.

Also, I'm getting "Error: Path not found On step: Set visualizations Path \\psf\Home\Document\Light-O-Rama\Visualizations"

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys-

I didn't see the OP in 2014.  

I've run Parallels on my MacBook Pro expressly for LOR.  I ran my show with XP and Boot Camp on a Mac Mini until this year when my Mini logic board failed during set up. The Mini had been the show computer for those 9 years trouble free until about 10 minutes into my booting up and setting up for this year on the day before my show start.  Bad timing. I had to start over but was able to salvage the LOR folder because Boot Camp was a separate partition on the hard drive.  I ran LOR 2.9.4 until this year and moved to 4.3.1.  I wanted to explain my setup so you'd know where I'm coming from. 

So now this year I'm running Parallels 12 on a new Mac Mini for the show and have been running version 11 and back to about version 4 on my MacBook Pro for probably 6-7 years to sequence.  I have XP and 7 running on the MacBook Pro right now and will probably kill of XP once I move all my older partially sampled songs out of there since I don't run XP and 2.9.4 anymore.   

I didn't run into any Parallels install issues or dev issues of note over the years.  I did have to run the CDM20814_Setup.exe program to get LOR to see the 485 USB box. The LOR install(s) and upgrades over time have been easy/straight forward.  I did mess up the resolution config on the MacBook Pro so dialog boxes look scrunched.  I've been too lazy to try and correct it.  I'm not quite sure what do say except pull the LOR folder out and do an uninstall then put the ("Light-O-Rama") folder back in the Program Files folder.  Then when you do the install, tell it that's where you want to "put" the Light-O-Rama install.  It should see your folder with all the assets and it should work.  In my case it kept all of the older files and put the new ones alongside them. The sequences themselves run fine on the new machine.

The 2 "bugs" I will say were kind of frustrating: 

this time around things were unclear as to put the LOR folder inside the "Program Files (x86) " folder. I think LOR said to put the old LOR folder there.  Once I ran the Verifier it found a ton of stuff broken trying to find assets in the regular "Program Files" / LOR folder.  When it asked where to find/put I had to dupe the LOR folder as a quick work around so it would find everything.  LOR doesn't go into the files and update the paths even though I told it to look in the (x86) folder.  It found the apps and some files there like sequences, but I had to redo my schedule editor to remap where to find the show schedules it looks for. 

I was hesitant to run Parallels on the show Mac but performance had been very good and I have not had a single glitch with the show running unassisted for over a week now. I like being able to use Apple Remote Desktop to be outside or around the house and be able to transfer songs, look around, etc.  I have an iOS remote access app that I use for accessing my other Mine that is a web server.  I plan on trying out connecting to the show mini.  It would be a lot easier to be outside working on the show with Sequence Editor via iPad instead of the MacBook Pro. 

I attached a pic of the show Mini desktop. I normally run Windows full screen. This was the largest image the forum would let me upload.

I'm happy to take part in a group of us that run Macs and LOR and shares feedback and advise.

Search bait: Macintosh, Mac, VMware, MacOS, iOS, El Capitan

MiniShowComp2016-580.jpg

Edited by Wingrider

Wanted to add- I hauled my MacBook Pro, a 1602, and a handful of lights to do the 2 day LOR emersion course at Christmas Expo a couple years ago.  There were 2 of us there in Ft Worth on Macs for the event. We buddy'd up and had no problem working through the course including the mini SuperStar session at the end.   I went so I could get up to speed on S4 and work on transitioning to S4 from 2.9.4 but never got around to it. This year fate forced my hand. 

I have to say I'm glad I moved to Parallels instead of going Boot Camp again. 

• 2 months later...

I used VMware Fusion for 2016. I used Boot Camp for two years prior.  Selling one of my MBP and will make a MacBook Air the show computer. 

I have to say that Windows never ran as good as it does on a Mac using Boot Camp.

• 1 year later...

I have tried to install LOR on a MacBook Pro using Parallels & Windows 10 just for working on sequences.  LOR will not run & I get the following message.

Error: Path not found On step: Set Network Export Path \\Mac\Home\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Network\SavedConfigurations

Then a window pops up: Light-O-Rama not correctly installed

Anyone have any suggestions?  

• The topic was locked