Light-O-Rama Forums

building the faces

m3chris

Can someone suggest where and what style rope light I should buy to build one of the faces? Any tips would be appreciated. Since I'm finding led rope lights, can I use a cmb24d controller like I do for my led strips?

I really like the looks of the faces in the CLD Halloween videos. I'd message him direct but I'm thinking he has his hands full right now.

Thanks for any insight. I've seen some really nice quality faces and if I invest the money I would like them to turn out like them.

My faces run through 2 CTB16PC 16-Channel Controllers. the rope lights are standard 120V incandescent. I got the rope lights from 1000bulbs.com in 150 ft. rolls. they work great and the rolls are pretty affordable. They Have LED rolls also. I think Kevin is using LED cool white 120v lights. I would think the CMB24 (which I have one ) is best suited for running RGB lights. here is what my faces look light.

Edited by Box on Rails

I forgot to mention that the evil Christmas tree is incandescent mini lights. The tree is from Holidaycoro.com I use 4 of those for my Christmas display. The mini lights have a slower response time then the rope lights. 

Great looking display. Not quite the big bold faces I'm after. Like the ones in CLD videos or heres another.

looks like the faces you can buy at wow lights for like $600 then add a controller? I feel like I can build my own for much less and I do like the cool white look anyways. I've seen a couple threads on building your own but they were a few years old.

If anyone knows the correct led rope light and has a link to them that would be great. Sounds like 120v is the way to go? I can cut to what ever length I need?

Thanks again.

Sure looks like the right stuff. I wonder how far apart the cut lines are?

I see I can find some that appear the same in 12v vs 120v. Any reason not to use dc controllers?

Edited by m3chris

post-7821-141477328469_thumb.jpg

Here is my 7.5ft singing snowman face, based off Kevin's design. I'm thinking this is similar to what you're talking about... I made it about 3 years ago.

1/4" PVC

Wire Grid

Zip ties

And a 150ft roll of incandescent rope lights from 1000bulbs.com. I think they are 1/8"? It's the smaller size rather then the larger (easier to make the shapes you desire).

In my picture you can see the wires and such, but when it's up you cannot see them from the street.

• The topic was locked