Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween Videos 2014

CLD Kevin

A guy just can't get a break!!!

I was permanently shut down again tonight. This time by the police. We had about 1000 people show up nightly. The show was directly across from a large park. Plenty of parking and seating area. We had no problem other than traffic. I will post some pics tomorrow. It was a great run while it lasted....but I think I'm done with residential displays. :-(

That stinks, all it takes is a few sore heads to ruin it for everyone.

What was the legal reason they gave as for shutting you down? As a police officer I'm trying to think of what one would be.  I understand the blocking traffic and stuff, but that is on each individual driver, not on you.  If you don't have audio there is no noise ordinance violations. 

It was the audio....violation of noise ordnance. And not the 10pm. Has to do with distance. You are allowed something like 25 or 50ft. The show is 34 mins from 7:30pm to 8:04. We thought it would be a traffic nightmare to play through FM transmitter. People would park and not move. So we played through speakers so everyone could watch from the park. Plenty of parking. The speakers faced the park (no homes) and was really not that loud. The house party next door the weekend before was louder. If walked a couple houses down you could slightly hear it. But we spoke with the several neighbors on the street and they had no problem with it. However, with this much traffic....people would park illegal, in the neighbors driveways and on the park lawn (really??). Just gave them a reason to call the police and noise was a legal reason to shut down. I could change to fm transmitter. No noise and nothing against the law for blinking lights. But again, this would cause a traffic nightmare causing them to come back. And they pretty much said in a not so nice way "you don't want us to come back". So I feel it's a lost cause. Seems the only way I can continue is move it to a commercial location which unfortunately would cost and would not be free anymore.

Edited by CLD Kevin

I'm reading your noise ordinance now, it is very restrictive.  Prohibits any noise that is plainly audible 50 feet from source between hours of 7am and 10pm and only 25 feet in any direction from 10pm-7am. 

Looking for a loophole here, I'm thinking you place a vehicle with it's car radio on in front of your house 9or two with one on each side).  Have it play the audio through the FM tuner.  This should allow you to have audio up to 50 feet from the car.  California State law on vehicle noise also appears to have this 50 feet limit.  I'd clarify with an attorney but I think you could do it.

The criminals are always looking for technicalities to get away with stuff, why shouldn't we use them also?

You're no stranger to the press.  My wife saw some of your show on the news while it was operating, and we live in Michigan.   Sorry to hear of the recent news.

Seems like a radio station sponsor with venue contacts would be perfect to keep the lights on.  

Remember these guys? http://eclecticprecision.com/#/holiday2013

I'm reading your noise ordinance now, it is very restrictive.  Prohibits any noise that is plainly audible 50 feet from source between hours of 7am and 10pm and only 25 feet in any direction from 10pm-7am. 

Looking for a loophole here, I'm thinking you place a vehicle with it's car radio on in front of your house 9or two with one on each side).  Have it play the audio through the FM tuner.  This should allow you to have audio up to 50 feet from the car.  California State law on vehicle noise also appears to have this 50 feet limit.  I'd clarify with an attorney but I think you could do it.

The criminals are always looking for technicalities to get away with stuff, why shouldn't we use them also?

Yes...Riverside noise ordinance is restrictive. Appreciate you looking at it. We thought about just using fm transmitter and telling the people to bring their own portable radios. Another option was to feed the audio via internet....everyone has a smart phone. Have a bunch of people dancing with headphone on. But thinking the timing would be off with latency.

Sorry to hear about the shut down Kevin.

I think you would still have a problem, even going with FM transmitter. There are some very loud cars now days. More cars blocking the street (now an emergency vehicle issue), the chance of someone getting ran over (idiots come out at dark). Still trash being thrown around. Lots of issues some neighbors will still complain about. If they don't like it, they will make calls quickly.

It's not fair, but it's they way society has become.

I would think a sponsor would pick you right up and support a location better suited for your kick-butt display.

• Like 1

Yes...Riverside noise ordinance is restrictive. Appreciate you looking at it. We thought about just using fm transmitter and telling the people to bring their own portable radios. Another option was to feed the audio via internet....everyone has a smart phone. Have a bunch of people dancing with headphone on. But thinking the timing would be off with latency.

Downside to doing that Kevin is the delay uploading it to the Internet.  I'm even having issue using FM transmitter at christmas, because newer cars have digital radios and it adds just enough delay to make the show out of sync.  I use outside 'rock' speakers (like you get from best buy) on Halloween AND do the xmitter.  That way people close to the house can hear it, and people on the road can crank up the tunes from their car.

I'm even having issue using FM transmitter at christmas, because newer cars have digital radios and it adds just enough delay to make the show out of sync. 

Hummmm, first I have heard of this issue. We don't have any problems going on like that with ours. Digital radios have been out for many years too.

Hummmm, first I have heard of this issue. We don't have any problems going on like that with ours. Digital radios have been out for many years too.

Yeah, I don't remember which kind of car it was, but the radio had a rewind capability. I'm assuming it buffers up so you can rewind and FF as needed.  But since none of my cars are newer then 2003, I don't know how prevelant it is :)

Hey all good news to report…

I got my show back!!!

After my show was shut down the calls and emails flooded the city mayor and councilman. They granted me an emergency permit to shut down the street and continue with the show. LOR family is first to be told.

Big props to Councilman Paul Davis!!

Edited by CLD Kevin
  • Like 3

That's awesome!  It really is a good thing for the community that actually attracts tourism, so from a political perspective it is good for economic development. I have a few Council Members on speed dial if I ever get in that same situation.  Actually one of them advertises the show in her monthly news letter so I don't have to worry too much.  It also helps reduce calls by having a police car in the driveway.

Fantastic News. Can't wait to see what you do this Christmas. Seeing your earlier stuff on YouTube is one the mains reasons I am here now. Just too cool

Thanks Jay...i did like that takin it down - bringing it back part.

Hey thanks for the heads up. I was able to catch the west coast feed.

They were staying how my elect bill must be high....not true at all. With 95% led and the house has solar panels....likely is free.

Kevin, did you do all the sequencing for this in S3 or did you use other sequencers as well.  I'm curious how you did the fire effect and some of the outline movement mixing in areas of white between the colors.  I've done similar effects using Madrix but never with a timed sequence grid.  I normally just buy your sequences off your site so I can reverse engineer them to learn your tricks :) but these new ones are not up.  Great work as always!