Light-O-Rama Forums

serial adapter died

mark obermiller

Mark,

Assuming your speaking of the serial adapter from LOR.

The serial adapter gets power from the first controller on the LOR network. That is one of the reasons there is a cable limit of 100 feet when using the serial adapter.

Might try a different cable between the serial adapter and the first controller.

Also some people have realized that the controler they have first is not outputting the approx. 9 volts to power the adapter and have swapped controller locations to facilitate running for the time being.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck for the response. Yes it is a LOR adapter and the first control is within 10 feet of the computer. I replaced the adapter with a 2nd one I had and it works just fine. My problem is that I need the 2nd adapter to run a snowman display that I have. Last year I ran the display using an I/O card and this year I decided use LOR boards to cut down on extension cords.

I have a feeling that I will have to replace it.

Mark

There is a little circuit board in the adapter that I suppose could have something go wrong on it (it makes the conversion from RS232 from the computer to RS485 for the LOR network).

If I were replacing mine I think I'd upgrade to the USB version, which doesn't need to get power off of the network but rather takes it from the USB port (and therefore has unlimited (or virtually) distance to the first controller.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately I am using a dinosaur of a computer that has no USB ports. Heck this computer only has provisions for a serial mouse so I purchased a PCI card with 2 serial ports. I am stuck with the card so I guess I will have to stick with the serial adapter.

I did take the adapter apart but I have not checked it for failed componets. I really do not have the time to spend on it.

This is for my snowball fighting snowman display. Last year I used this computer and used a I/O card to drive SSR's. I decided this year to use LOR controls to get better effects.

Mark