Light-O-Rama Forums

Comm Port already in Use error

RickWIlliams

It seams that every year I find something new.

This year I keep getting 'Comm port already in use" when I start up the Harware utility or the sequence editor.

I have upgraded to LORII and initially thought that was the problem, so I downgraded to the previous version (1.69) and tried again, getting the same error. I'm configured to use Comm1, I get same error on Comm4.

Compaq nc6220 with Window XP SP2 (Same system I have used the last 2 years), no external devices. I even disabled internal modem with no resolve.

I can't figure out what is grabbing the comm port, any suggestions?

I have noticed that with the USB-485B running on my vista 64 that sometimes I have to unplug the USB and Plug it back in for it to see it.

It seems to happen if I have exited LOR and have launched other programs in between.

I changed to the USB485b this year and had the same problem. Last year, the serial adapter was assigned to comm port 5, when I installed the USB485b this year, it was assigned to comm port 22 which would not work with the USB485b In one of my rare moments of "darn the torpedoes, full speed ahead," I forced it to use comm 5. No problems -- so far. One other thing, and this applied to the serial adapter last year as well as the USB 485b. I have to use the same USB port on my computer or LOR cannot find the adapter.

Rick,

Just wanted to check to make sure that you have shows disabled and it is not the show player that has grabbed the port.

Have you installed any software that is used to download data from portable devices?

Try the hardwareutility and the auto configure option toplefta and see uif it can find your adapter. maybe window reassigned com oprt to something else. or go in device manager and look at your port and there assignments if you know how to. if not get help from someone that knows how before trying that option.

Dan,

Yes I actually do have MP3 Device software installed that I did not have last year. I did however install LOR on another laptop with a clean build and got it working but a new issue appeared.

New Issue: When testing sequences I will get a board that just shuts down and the funny part when I unplug one side of the controller (Sorry, did not pay attention as to what side) the lights will go ALL ON and when I return it to power they turn off.

Not sure what that means, I will have to investigate a little more tonight, got a little frustrating last night so I walked away.

I will try hard resetting the 3 controllers to see if that helps, all three controllers (2 Green 1 Blue) have original firmware.

If you have any other suggestions Dan, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Rick-

Issues resolved!

Thanks Dan, you pointed me in the right direction. After removing several MP3 device application, I still had the error, but remembered I did install a WACOM tablet earlier in the year that interfaces with the serial comm port, and is constantly looking for signals from this port. Once the driver was removed everything worked perfect.

The power issue resolved down to an issue on the main circuits being used, switching the main controller feeds over to the new circuits I put in last year resolved all issues.

Happy camper here!

Thanks again Dan for the direction.

-Rick Williams-

http://www.QuartzHillChristmas.com