Light-O-Rama Forums

Music play at different volumes

Frank Bolton

This is my first year with a LOR and I am having trouble with the sound level. I have about 15 different sequences with music form itunes, LOR and my own CD's. Some of the songs play louder than others on my outside speakers. Has anyone seen this problem before? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

What I do to combat that problem is I use an audio program (Sound Forge Audio Studio but others do this too) to make adjustments in the volume of each sound bite or song to get it up to about -1 or -2 db without clipping.

Then I save it as a WAV file and use it in my LOR show that way.

Randy

Audacity is another option, and is also great for cutting down the length of songs, layering on voiceovers or other things, etc. And it's free...

In Audacity, select the track, go to the Effect menu and select "Amplify..." The default value is the value that it thinks is necessary to "normalize" the audio. If you do that to all tracks, the volume should be consistent.

-Tim

One issue with the Audacity "Amplify" tool is that it will normalize the loudest peak of the song to 0dB. If the song has a bunch of quiet parts that you want brought up to the level of the loudest part of the song, you can select the quiet part of the song and use the Amplify tool on just that part. This worked well for me.

Thanks guys, I will give this a try and let you know how it works out. I appreciate the quick response.

Another option but far more expensive is to get a compressor/limiter. Radio, TV and Sound companies use them all the time. A good one will run you atleast $200.00

Audacity also has a compressor effect you can run on a sound file. I used it for all of the sound files used in my show. Normalizing the audio will help, but compressing should help make it even better especially for broadcasting. Normalizing reduces the difference between the loud & quiet parts of the sound file but at the sacrafice of dynamics. When you're broadcasting, it's well worth it :)

I think in the end I compressed & normalized my audio files, in that order.

Dan

I had the same problem and I found that the variations where caused by inconsistent recording levels. I re-recorded everything using Audacity. During the recording process, I closely watched the input levels to ensure that they where consistent throughout all of the songs.

Thanks again guys, I used MP3 gain to get the volume levels to be the same. However I was not able to get it to work on Vista, I had to use my computer with XP then copy the audio files. As a result of this problem, I have decided to buy a transmitter. If I have problems with that I will use Audacity. Thanks again. :cool::)

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

I did it, Aphex Dominator II 720 and an Aphex Compellor 320a. Only two comments when it comes to FM transmission and this combination.

Wow nice NICE sound and I could have had another 2 or 3 controllers ........

Jerry