Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR visualization plug-in for WMP

Guest guest

Merit, that looks pretty cool. I don't have LOR on this machine, and the wireless network adapter crashes my LOR machine, so i have to fix that first. Then I might give that a try.

Lightorama wrote:

( This is great I get to bring up an issue for a change:D )...

hehehe

Greg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul C

• t2gren

• Surfing4Dough

• james campbell

gremler wrote:

I was discussing LOR with by brother who has a band and I told him that the sequences would have to be written in advanced. Well maybe not, anyway to adapt this to work with live music?

Thats what this is! This is a plug in for WMP to automaticly controll LOR! And it works, I tried it!

--Daniel L

I play with this last night and its work Cool

like to see one respond to the Graphic Equalizer in other word
a LOR channel respond to a EQ channel or a low, mid, high group to
EQ channel ?

Jerry Plak:snowman:

gremler wrote:

I was discussing LOR with by brother who has a band and I told him that the sequences would have to be written in advanced. Well maybe not, anyway to adapt this to work with live music?

You could do that. You'd need something like the Line-In plug-in from this page:
http://www.chronotron.com/content.php?page=products

That would allow you to connect the live feed to a laptop and run your LOR controller from there. I don't know how much luck you'll have doing stage lighting with LOR though, seems like you'd need a lot more power.

Jerry Plak wrote:

I play with this last night and its work Cool

like to see one respond to the Graphic Equalizer in other word
a LOR channel respond to a EQ channel or a low, mid, high group to
EQ channel ?

It does this now. If you set the preset to "Frequency and Power" the six blue lines you see represent the frequency used for each of the six channels. You can click and drag them to change which frequency bands each channel responds to, or click inside them to switch from Peak to Average or Normalized.

I haven't gotten a really good equalizer effect yet since the low frequency always seems so much higher than the highs, but I'm working on getting it to be a little more like the typical EQ you would see. It will be a little easier to configure when I get the next version finished up.

Glad you like it.

Daniel wrote:

How do you even make somthing like this? Is their a program that makes visaulations?

A visualization basically is a program. You have to write the C++ code to process the sound and do the drawing (or lighting in this case). It's not too hard if you're a programmer (I'm a software engineer in real life) but its not really point and click unfortunately.

It would be interesting to try to make a sort of pseudo-plugin that non-programmers could use to design visualizations easily, leave the creative stuff up to the non computer geek types :P

Merit wrote:

It would be interesting to try to make a sort of pseudo-plugin that non-programmers could use to design visualizations easily, leave the creative stuff up to the non computer geek types :P

Im in the middle between geek and non-geek. I have done a little programming in VB but it is nothing to even bother with. I am verry suprised at what you can do with WMP and was wondering if you could teach me some C++ code so I can try to make somthing like you did.

--Daniel L

Just a question for help. I installed plug-in and have WMP 10 but the plug-in won't communicate with the board. I tried running the hardware utility and the board is Com 1 and is Board 1, and the utility work fine, so does LOR, but not the plug-in.

I can double click and set the parameters and all else looks good, but no steady LED.

Anything I might try?

Make shour LOR is not running, Hardware, editor and shows all have to be off. In WMP dubble click the visulation and set the com and id. What board do you have? Also in WMP you should see the visulation in stand-by see if it is even their.

--Daniel L

itsmejrv wrote:

gremler wrote:

I believe I heard Marty Slack plays live music that his stuff goes to. Hopefully he can jump in let us know how he pulls it off. I would imagine he has it all pre set.

Yeah, based on previous discussions, I'm pretty sure Marty has it all pre-sequenced, then uses a "metronome channel" that the musicians watch to keep in sync.

Now that LOR has announced a PDK, it would be very much possible for someone to create a virtual LOR lighting console (or heck, even a real one) that you could use to control lighting live. I also think LOR boards will be able to be controlled by DMX in the near future.

-Tim

I have to say that I just set it up and it is very cool. I guess you could call us beta testers. as a beta tester I would say that some songs, of course, synch better than others. Frank Sinatra's Let it Snow and God Rest by Inspired Jazz work very well, while wizards in Winter did not come out as well.

Anyway, Great Job

Greg

I do use LOR to sync the display with live music. This is not an easy task! The sequences have to be completed far in advance. I started out writing my sequences using recordings that my groups made. I then found it easier to just use the music score and use "silent" music files for the audio. I use two of my LOR channels as metronomes. They just flash the beat. I have lights attached to the musicians stands and we stay in sync by following the flashes of our stand lights.

Here's the problem. It takes a while to learn to accurately follow the flashing stand lights and keep everything right in line. We'll typically spend several weeks practicing with the metronome lights prior to the Christmas season. Without a lot of practice it's real easy to get one or two beats off, and then things look terrible. Everything has to be planned out right to the split second with no variation. If anyone has access to the 2004 HGTV show, Outa-control Christmas, you can see the final result.

I've used live music for several years. When I evolved to having everything synchronized I did lose a lot in the transition. In earlier years we would just play music for people, take requests, and interact with the crowds while the lights did their own thing (usually just static lights.) For the last two years everything is synchronized with the lights. Since we now need to strictly follow the pre-programmed schedule we lost all the spontaneity. Everyone seems to really like what we do but I miss the old days of really playing to the crowds and doing things however and whenever we wanted.

yeutterg wrote:

Just a question, will this work with the LOR II protocol?

No, the LOR protocal will be completely different so existing controllers or software such as this plugin will NOT work with the new protocol.

However we will be supplying an SDK so that folks like Merit can use it to support their software. It will make it easier for them because they will get access to all LOR stuff including X10/DIO/Dasher and LOR controllers. However this SDK will not help with non-LOR supplied controllers. With LOR II only controllers supplied by LOR will be supported.