Light-O-Rama Forums

Crash in 3.11.2 Sequence Editor

Welsford

I recently cloned my system onto a SSD Drive to try and make this computer last a few more years.

I then started getting a strange crash in the sequence editor.  It would just completely close itself, while playing a sequence or editing or anything and if you launched it again and then tried to play anything you would get a pop up that reads:

AdjMmsEng

### Internal error, cannot load engine Number 1 due to error 193

A little research led me to the adjmmseng.dll (Audio DJ Studio for .Net from MultiMedia Soft).

The version included in the LOR install is file version 9.2.3.1.  I removed this file, rebooted, then did a repair install which replaced it.  Rebooted again.  Problem still present.

So I downloaded the latest and greatest version (10.6.0.26) from MultiMedia Soft and put it in the LOR directory.  Rebooted, problem seems resolved.  I then went back and forth several times between the two versions being careful to boot in between to release the library file.  The issue was 100% reproducible with the old version.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Should I update any other dependent files?

2. Am I asking for trouble?

3. On one occasion I did experience some stutter in the playback.  It went away with a sequencer restart and hasn't returned.  

4. I have noticed a slight instability in the sequencer still.  I will get an occasional random crash but on restart of it it does work again without a reboot required.  A reboot was required before.

5. Any chance of an official LOR update to patch this?

No Virus scan

The problem is most likely because that is a Windows server operating system.  Server OS's from Microsoft tend to have a lot of media handling removed, and it sounds as if ADJ was trying to pull up a Directshow Filter that was non existent on that OS.

If the new version works for you that is great.  However be aware that the ADJ library we use is modified from their standard libraries.  You may have fixed that crash, but will most likely get into other trouble when the suite tries to call one of our custom routines that doesn't exist in that version.

Noted Mike.  Sounds like a good time to switch over to Win 7.  I just preferred 2K3 because it used so little resources.  With the show running I was only consuming 300MB of memory (including the OS).

I fear Win 7 is just going to be a hog.

The reason I posted is that if I switch back to a non SSD the error is gone.  Same OS.

I've been running it on that box for four years now without any issues.  Even with the newest version.

I can't imagine why a SSD would make a difference but it seems to.

Do you think completely reinstalling LOR is worth it or would a repair have accomplished the same thing?

Thanks for such a quick reply!!!!

<major snip>

No Virus scan

I'm kinda wondering why you are using a server OS for a LOR computer - or is this server used for more traditional server duties? If you do have more traditional server functions to run, you might want to go to a more recent server OS rather than Win 7. Granted that I like Win 7, but it's not a server OS...

BTW my server (and it is used as a server) is still running Win Server 2000 largely because it just runs so well. I will be replacing it before too long with newer hardware because I see signs of impending hardware failure. OS will be at least Win 2008 R2 or more likely 2012.

BTW my server (and it is used as a server) is still running Win Server 2000 largely because it just runs so well. I will be replacing it before too long with newer hardware because I see signs of impending hardware failure. OS will be at least Win 2008 R2 or more likely 2012.

2008 R2 for me has been very stable, for everything I throw at it.  I have one set up as a domain controller, Exchange Server, File Server, and IP Security 8-Camera recorder for an office of 8 people (on an old Dell 2850).  Works like a champ.

I was running W2K3 because it is lean and mean.

Under that OS, I had used a total of 3 GB of disk space and at boot time the system consumed a measly 200MB of RAM (275MB with show running).

I just rebuilt under windoze 7.  With just the OS and LOR software I'm already at 20 GB and at boot I'm consuming almost 1 GB of memory.

The box was 2GB\40GB drive before so I was pretty constrained.  I put in a 60 GB SSD and another GB of RAM to make this functional.

I never had any problems until the latest version.  Been running it on this box for 5 ish years now.  Seems stable anyway now.  Just stinks to have to use more resources.

I like W2K8 but based on your comments about the media stuff I went with the desktop OS as suggested.

All things being fair the windoze kernel is the same regardless of the version.  It's the extra presentation layer stuff I didn't want to waste on.

Edited by Welsford