Light-O-Rama Forums

Strobes

Duke

I was watching some videos that contained strobes in the display and I noticed that it appears that they turn ON at slightly different times immediatly giving a shimmering effect.
I've purchased 10 curtain strobes and have them spaced 3' apart but when I turn on the string, all 10 start at the same time. After a few flashes they start going out of sync for the effect.
Will they start the randomness sooner by changing the value, and using slightly different values, in each of the resistors in them as shown on the PC site?
I'm trying to achieve the randomness sooner (within a second) so that I can use very brief bursts of flashing for instance when a cymbal crashes in a song.
Any ideas without using more than 1 channel?

Jeff Millard wrote:

I don't know what type of curtain strobe you're using... But I bought 30 of Darryl Brown's ChristmasLightShow.com C9 strobes and on a single channels they have the fast chase or shimmer effect. I bought 10 small curtain strobes from Chauvet and I didn't like the start delay or flash rate of them.

Jeff

Jeff, they are the C9's from Darryl Brown.

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/xcart/product.php?productid=54&cat=11&page=1

When I plug them in they all light up at the same time. Definately not like the sample video shows. They don't start to go noticebly "random" or out of sync until they're on or after the 3rd flash. If I leave them on for a few seconds they will sync up again and repeat the cycle. I was hoping they would have started a bit more out of sync right off the get go.

I was hoping to use only one channel as Jeff said he is doing. It seems there is no start delay at all. If there is a way to modify them for a start delay I would do that rather than burn up extra channels. I know I can modify them for a faster flash rate by changing a resistor but I'm lookng for the delayed start as in the video in the link from my prior post.

• 3 years later...

Linda McDonald wrote:

I was thinking about place strobes among these snowflakes. I don't know anything about strobes, but found these. Anyone else use these or know if they will work? What happens if it snows?

http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=14&Product=184

IMG_3289.jpg

Thanks,

Linda
They are called Xenon strobes and yes, they will withstand the snow...

They also come in different colors, but the white ones give you the biggest "wow" factor ( I think)...

other places sell them individually, and CDI sells them by the case...but then you also have to get the C9 sockets to screw them in to.

You will also see some LED strobes out there...but IMHO, stay away from those. If you are not directly in front of them, they don't look good at all....

And I think they would look nice amongst your snowflakes...and if you could, put them in the center of your snowflakes...

Thanks for the info Jim. I'm not sure why, but I've been "afraid" of strobes in the past. Wierd! Anyways, I ordered those strobes and am excited to integrate them into the snowflakes.

When programming your sequences, only ON and OFF, correct? How long do you keep them "ON"? Also, I think I read somewhere about not turning them ON and OFF in rapid succession? TRUE?

Thanks,

Linda

Linda McDonald wrote:

When programming your sequences, only ON and OFF, correct? Correct. How long do you keep them "ON"? That's pretty much up to you. Depends on the effect you're trying to create or what you're trying to highlight. Strobes work well to surprise and wow people. Therefore, there is also a "less is more" factor to consider. Also, I think I read somewhere about not turning them ON and OFF in rapid succession? TRUE? Yes, that's what you paid for them to do all by themselves.

Thanks, You're welcome. Merry Christmas!

Linda