Light-O-Rama Forums

10w RGB Led Flood - Ray Wu

nookway

Hello All,

I need some help with anyone who is familiar with 10w RGB Led Floods from Ray Wu. I had posted my question in another thread where Tom recommended I open a new topic to get more exposure.

I recently started learning about light-o-rama and rgb leds. I also recently purchased the CMB24 controller board. I was looking into connecting this with some 10w rgb led flood lights. I have heard good things about Ray Wu's store and his products. I found the following floodlight on his store.

http://www.aliexpres...2037336497.html

I want to find out if I can use these out of the box without any changes/hacking as some of the other rgb flood lights need. On the flood light description it mentions about wireless control. Hence I have a feeling that it may not work out of the box. I reached out to Ray and this was his response:

"this 12v rgb flood light is 4wires, it works in the same way as the below rgb strip and rgb nodes:
can work with LOR 24 channel 12 volt controller
http://www.aliexpres...1742526381.html
http://www.aliexpres...522236867.html"

I would prefer to avoid hacking so I hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 1

Looks like it's standard RGB wiring. I'm not sure about the "wireless" in the description. From the picture it just looks like 4 wires that you'll need for RGB.

Cheers

Evan

I don't mean to be Mr. Obvious here, but given the price and shipping from Ray, and given the fact that you don't really know what you're getting, why wouldn't you just spend a comparable amount and buy 10W floods that you know will work right out of the box from LOR?

I don't mean to be Mr. Obvious here, but given the price and shipping from Ray, and given the fact that you don't really know what you're getting, why wouldn't you just spend a comparable amount and buy 10W floods that you know will work right out of the box from LOR?

+1

I do not have this flood from Ray but other ones. This looks similar though.

My floods have the controller built inside the flood already. So I have to run power and dmx signal only to them. Ray programs them for you so you tell him your desired address....otherwise he programs them as 1, 2 and 3. And yes it is hack free. If you order more than one he will address them as required...he won't send you all programmed to one number...unless you want him to.

You can always send Ray a message asking how the device works. He will make sure you get what you need.

Reduce your shipping costs by sending Ray a message and requesting how much he will charge. It will be much cheaper.

I have floods from both Ray and LOR. LORs floods use to cost so much. Anyway, the LOR floods are great. But the floods from Ray have their use. It does not take up a channel but you must have dmx already. If you are wanting to plug these into a LOR controller it won't work. It needs power and dmx connections.

FYI here is what I have:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-input-10W-RGB-DMX-LED-flood-light-IP66-high-quality-with-15mm-3-core-waterproof/701799_1089962952.html

• Like 1

I do not have this flood from Ray but other ones. This looks similar though.

My floods have the controller built inside the flood already. So I have to run power and dmx signal only to them. Ray programs them for you so you tell him your desired address....otherwise he programs them as 1, 2 and 3. And yes it is hack free. If you order more than one he will address them as required...he won't send you all programmed to one number...unless you want him to.

You can always send Ray a message asking how the device works. He will make sure you get what you need.

Reduce your shipping costs by sending Ray a message and requesting how much he will charge. It will be much cheaper.

I have floods from both Ray and LOR. LORs floods use to cost so much. Anyway, the LOR floods are great. But the floods from Ray have their use. It does not take up a channel but you must have dmx already. If you are wanting to plug these into a LOR controller it won't work. It needs power and dmx connections.

FYI here is what I have:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-input-10W-RGB-DMX-LED-flood-light-IP66-high-quality-with-15mm-3-core-waterproof/701799_1089962952.html

Hi sax,

Thanks for your response. I did speak with Ray and he is confident I can use the flood with the LOR DC controller without modifications. He also mentioned that both the flood that you referenced and the one I am looking at have the same led type.

I am buying about 10 of these floods so the price per unit comes around $18 including shipping. That is almost $12 less per flood compared to LOR. However given that you have both LOR and Ray Wu floods and if you think LOR floods are better I am open to pay extra for them. What would you recommend? Thanks again for your response!

Cheers,

Andy

I use all my floods. When I bought the ones from Ray LOR only offered floods that cost $400 if I remember right. After I bought the floods from Ray and some from holiday coro then LOR came out with their current ones.

I like the LOR floods the best. They are plug and play on a LOR network. The ones I have from Ray are dmx with a self contained controller. If the ones Ray has that you are looking at are plug and play on the LOR I see nothing wrong with them.

That said, all my future floods will be LOR floods. I like the plug and play and warranty. And for a few bucks more I can have that piece of mind.

RGB strips....RGB bulbs....pixels....I give Ray a call.

• Like 1

I am going to use floods for the first time this year.. I bought a bunch of the ones that were $13.50 each.  The problem is that they are IR controlled and not DMX or LOR.  So, I gutted them, put one 4 conductor cable coming out of each and I am putting together a few boxes with constant current drivers in them. That way I have one DMX input/output and one 24vdc power input to each box.  That box will drive up to six floods and be DMX controlled.  Since these drivers are constant current and I am using my 24vdc supplies, I have lots of things I can do cable wise without worrying about voltage drop.  I have tested up to 60' from the box to the flood with Rays white 4 core cables (light gauge) and they work great. 

The reason I did all that was to not have so many cable connections and I wanted to use my 24vdc waterproof supplies that I have tons of.  This rehash gave me just that.  Each flood has one cable, (RGB+).  Each box has 3-4 cables, (DMX in, DMX out, 24vdc and if I want I can add 24vdc out). 

If you get the ones that are already set up for network in and out they still work great, but you have to deal with more cabling and power connection.. but great for plug and play..

I am going to use floods for the first time this year.. I bought a bunch of the ones that were $13.50 each.  The problem is that they are IR controlled and not DMX or LOR.  So, I gutted them, put one 4 conductor cable coming out of each and I am putting together a few boxes with constant current drivers in them. That way I have one DMX input/output and one 24vdc power input to each box.  That box will drive up to six floods and be DMX controlled.  Since these drivers are constant current and I am using my 24vdc supplies, I have lots of things I can do cable wise without worrying about voltage drop.  I have tested up to 60' from the box to the flood with Rays white 4 core cables (light gauge) and they work great. 

The reason I did all that was to not have so many cable connections and I wanted to use my 24vdc waterproof supplies that I have tons of.  This rehash gave me just that.  Each flood has one cable, (RGB+).  Each box has 3-4 cables, (DMX in, DMX out, 24vdc and if I want I can add 24vdc out). 

If you get the ones that are already set up for network in and out they still work great, but you have to deal with more cabling and power connection.. but great for plug and play..

Where did you source your 24v waterproof supplies from, plasmadrive?

Where did you source your 24v waterproof supplies from, plasmadrive?

When I used to work for and LED company I was head of projects.  I had these supplies made for our high power linear LED fixtures.  These were for architectural use so they had to be good outside.  I got them UL recognized even.  (some just CE for overseas)

When they stopped making fixtures there were a lot of brand new supplies left and I got em.  I thought the DIY guys would love em since they were already wet location rated and perfect for use with DC-DC converters for pixels and other props.  So I have lots and lots of them still.  I have been selling them when people need them.  But I have plenty for myself.   They are 24vdc 10amp  240watt supplies. 

Those floods from Ray are great. All you need is an entree dongle and you're good to go. They're also incredibly cheap. Ray gets great deals with on shipping