Subsequences

Tim Fischer

I haven't tried using subsequence yet, but I really like the concept and have read the docu on it.

Is the speed of the subsequence always constant, or does it depend on the amount of "on time" in the master sequence?

The latter would be really cool -- for example, if I had a subsequence which spun the mega tree one full rotation, if you had an "on event" in the master sequence on that subsequence channel, it would determine the speed of the spin by the length of that on event. For example, if it was 3 seconds long, the sequence would take 3 seconds to complete. If it was 1 second long, the tree would spin in one second... The only problem with that is that you'd need a way to tell the sequence to restart, so maybe this isn't the best way after all...

Just thinking out loud. This is another powerful feature that could be really cool.

-Tim

There any many features that can yeild great results and new ways of looking at sequencing. For instance, open a track and use the beat wizard. Open another track and set the beat wizard to 2x or 4x. Open another track and use the VU meter. Now put them all on a screen and play the song. Between these tools you can visualize most of the "events" in a song.

Dan

I also haven't yet played with subsequences, but they should be very useful.

I note however that the help file warns against having the same physical channels in more than one place (eg multiple subsequences). One particular use I foresee would be to have chase channels in a subsequence and then setup different subsequences so that I could have different chase functions. eg forward chase, backward chase, just flashing, etc.

If I then setup various channels representing these subsequences, would these work correctly assuming I only ever had 1 active at any one time??

If so, is it necessary to leave a small break in time between one subsequence stopping and the next starting?? (eg 0.1 sec)

-----------------------

I can also see a use for a subsequence which could be run as a 1 shot time-scaled to the time period specified in the calling (main) sequence. My understanding at present is that the subsequence will run at its defined time scale.

Regards Geoff

John Paul wrote:

For instance, open a track and use the beat wizard. Open another track and set the beat wizard to 2x or 4x. Open another track and use the VU meter.

This is exactly how I been goinh back and editing all my songs this past weekend. Love this feature. My songs aer turning out so much better, and twice as fast to program. Thanks again L-O-R staff fro this awesome feature.

Chuck N

Geoff Harvey wrote:

If I then setup various channels representing these subsequences, would these work correctly assuming I only ever had 1 active at any one time??

That's my understanding. I think you just don't want two things trying to control the same physical channels at the same time. Otherwise subsequences wouldn't be terribly useful...

-Tim

The speed of the subsequence is not affected by the length of the cells of the parent sequence. It is, however, affected by the speed of the parent sequence (for example if your parent sequence looped back and increased speed).

Regarding the other question (about different subsequences with the same physical circuit controlled by each): This is not really recommended, but I think it will work in at least some situations. I think that if you ensure that there's time (in the master sequence) between the end of one of the subsequence and the start of the other subsequence, it will work (i.e. time in between where neither subsequence is on).

Since looping isn't allowed in Musical sequences, any plans on letting us somehow vary the speed of a subsequence? Some ways to sync things up so I could say "do three complete loops of the subsequence in X amount of time" would be really nice. Without that, I don't think I'd find subsequences all that useful -- with it I'd find them invaluable.

Thanks!

-Tim