Light-O-Rama Forums

Copy\Paste By Group

ShaggySS

Is it possible to copy and paste by groups?  Here is my problem.  I created this great pumpkin arch with 50 plastic pumpkins all different sizes and obviously the bigger pumpkins have more lights.  So when doing a chase from one side to the other I create the start to a the chase with the first few pumpkins and then copy and paste but when I hit one that has 5 lights vs the typical 3 I have blank spots for the last two channels.  Hopefully that makes sense. 

So is it possible to copy and paste groups?  See attached for an example.  

If not do you have an idea of how I can do this?  Aside from redoing the lights in the pumpkins

post-6935-0-34765600-1412089399_thumb.pn

If you copy from a group with 8 items and paste it into a group with 10 items, only 8 are going to paste.

The copy/paste by group doesn't take into account the group you are pasting into, it looks at what you copied, in this example, 8 items.

Don,

You are correct.  Is there a way to simply copy and paste by groups? Say I copy from a group that has 5 lines into a group that has 10 lines.  Is there a "stretch to fit" by group?  

That I am aware of? No. 

(If there was, It would made some modifications to client work much easier!)

Can you create a prop or fixture for each pumpkin?? 

This is in the Sequence Editor. The visualizer wouldn't be of any help here.

If you copy a group of 10 lines into a group of 8 lines, it will write into the 2 lines below that group. If there is nothing below that group then I guess it vanishes. But just be aware, copying groups is treated like copying lines. If there are 10 lines in the group that is what you have copied.... 10 lines. And when you paste, you will paste 10 lines. The group just makes it easier.

But with this technique, you can clean up channels and make lines into groups etc. This is especially useful when exporting from superstar. Superstar exports each line item. So if you have an RGB element then superstar will export that as 3 channels or lines instead of the typical 1 line combined RGB. Imagine that for a CCR. But if I select the entire CCR...all 150 lines, I can now copy that and then paste it into a group from a channel template I have made with how the CCR should be and it will be organized for me automatically into my single 3 line RGB channels...which will look like 50 lines. This is only possible because you are copying individual lines and not a group.

There is no stretch to fit lines or channels tool. There is a stretch or shrink to fit time tool.

After a half of day trying to make my existing sequences works I decided it was time for plan B.  Make the E682 do the heavy lifting with minimal soldering.

While it doesn't exactly pertain to copy and pasting by groups maybe my thinking will help others..

So I have this pumpkin arch...see attached.  

Small pumpkins got 6 2811 nodes

Middle size pumpkins got 10 2811 strip segments

Large pumpkins got 16 strip segments. 

The idea was consolidate these down by a factor of two so I have 3 channels for small 5 for middle and 8 for large. The light bulb finally finished flickering and I came up with a solution.  Make all of them 3.  So I will waste a few outputs on my E682 but if I use an output for the middle sized pumpkins I can consolidate those by 3 so I get 9 strip segments and instead of cutting out that one segment I can just not include that in the sequence editor.  Lastly consolidate the large pumpkins to 5.  

post-6935-0-17265300-1412115665_thumb.jp