Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega-Tree Planning using LOR

Guest guest

Hi all,

I'm considering substituting a Mega-Tree for a Live 20ft Spruce in my display next season. The tree is beautiful when lit, but, as it continues to grow it is becoming more and more difficult to light (the way I like it).

Also, it sits back between my house and my neighbor's home, so it can only be seen by those sitting directly in front of the house. So, If I put a Mega-tree in in-front of the old Spruce, I think it will add to the display significantly. And will also be visible from a wider angle.

With all that said, I have some questions. I've tried searching for "mega-tree" under the search routine above, but it seems all the good discussions that I read last year, are gone due to the switch over.

WHY am I asking this in the LOR Forum? Because of the following:

• The number of channels "ideal" vs. "cost" is going to be/must be part of the discussion
  • The method of lighting it:

• Up one side and down the other -- gives a symmetrical effect, and 12 channels will yield 24 visual slice
    • Only Up one side -- then it will take 24 channels to get the same "visual" effect as the aforementioned method, but you can chase all around the tree. Likely is (I'm guessing) most of us would only have 1 color due to the incremental effect of adding a 2nd (i.e., 24 channels for one color, 48 for 2, etc.)
    • bottom line: visually I have only seen the above on a few videos. I would like to know from those who may have tried several setups which configurations they have liked best

[*]Building:

• I've seen Darryl Brown's "do it yourself" instructions on his website ... His plan has what I would refer to as "a tree trunk" effect on the bottom, which is different that most of the others I've seen. And it doesn't say the length of the light strands that need to be used.
    • Are there methods of construction that are easier/better than others?

[*]Atypical effects:

• Has anyone come up with a way to wire/light the mega-tree to have "horizontal" as well as the typical "vertical" effects?

[*]Sequencing:

• I'm not in the 10th of a second crowd ... I actually do use the tapper, and then add events when I need faster or "between the beat" events. Soooooo, does this make sequencing a Mega-Tree harder to do?
    • Will the new LORII software help in this regard?

Okay ... that's a start ...

Thanks,

T

tabjraxa wrote:

Atypical effects:

• Has anyone come up with a way to wire/light the mega-tree to have "horizontal" as well as the typical "vertical" effects?

By jove I think I've got it (bad attempt at a British accent). I have been thinking about this for a week and this morning woke up and said ah-ha. If we use my old favorite, the 140 light, 4 channel, 46' chaser light and do the following mod. Install in the typical vertical fashion, we could achieve the before mentioned horizontal effect. The drawing is based on a 15 ft tree, for a 20' tree the same mod only the strand would be cut in half. (I hope the drawing is readable on here, I spent half the night working on it.)

Bill

Attached files 25199=1393-chaser  megatree.jpg

It took me a minute looking at it, but I see what you did! I like that idea. And I thought of something else you could do along those same lines...arrange the lights in a spiral pattern going up the tree, so that when you turned each channel on, it wouldn't just spin, and it wouldn't just go up, either. It would spiral up...spin and go up at the same time!:tree:

Now I really need for Spring Break to get here so I can seriously think about getting a job so that I can get more LOR's. Maybe I'll be really good and get an LOR or 5 for my birthday in April.

Kenny Greer wrote:

And I thought of something else you could do along those same lines...arrange the lights in a spiral pattern going up the tree, so that when you turned each channel on, it wouldn't just spin, and it wouldn't just go up, either. It would spiral up...spin and go up at the same time!:tree:

Kenny, I like that idea, if I got your meaning right, it is too cool.
Instead of having the same color starting at the bottom, its staggered like this-

Row 1 Row 2 Row 3 Row 4 Row 5 ect., ect., ect.

Yellow Blue Green Red Yellow

Blue Green Red Yellow Blue

Green Red Yellow Blue Green

Red Yellow Blue Green Red

Kenny with your permission I would like to name this the BK Megatree (for Bill/Kenny, BK sounds better than KB don't you think;)). Unless this has been already thought of before, then the name is respectfully withdrawn.:(

I think I'm going to build this in to my megatree, thats going add a couple extra weeks to my to-do list.

So Dan, Looks like I will need another 4 Channels.

Bill

I took a look at your animation (thank you very much for it by the way), and it is exactly what I was thinking of! Great work!:waycool: And I like the name, too...BK megatree.:( Kinda has a neat ring to it.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to incorporate it in to my display this year, but I will have to get strings ready just in case, and I will definitely make a go at it in 2007 if I don't get it for 2006.