Light-O-Rama Forums

Be Careful Closing the Cover!

DerrickHoffland

I was connecting all my LOR boxes today and when I closed the cover on one CTB16PC box one of the CAT5 cable sockets bent and broke off the board. It's cold here and the CAT5 cable did not flex enough to relieve the strain. I have re-routed my CAT5 connections so that this particular box is the last in line. After the season is over, I'll take the board back out of the enclosure and see if it can be fixed. It was a LOR soldered board, not something I did.

IMHO the PC enclosures could be deeper, and getting the two CAT5 cables in through the small strain relief fitting is a PITA.

I run my Cat 5 in thru the center rubber fitting then around the front of the board and not thru the strain relief. I put a loose knot in the cable just so it wont pull back out.

Turns out this is going to be a real problem. One end of the daisy chain is up on the roof peak and the other is the box with the broken socket. I thought the mini-Director had two ports on the back, and that I could just insert it into the middle of the network; similar to the RS485 adapter. It does not. I have nowhere to plug it in except up on the roof which is 12/12 pitch (45 degrees) and currently covered in snow. ;) That's not going to happen. Anybody got a plan B?