Light-O-Rama Forums

Suggestion thread

pghquest

Sorry if there was a thread already on this but I thought I'd offer a few suggestions on the LOR Sequence program

1) I'd really like to see a collumn next to the time scale which shows the channel the item is on..

Right now I'm naming things

Left light 01-15

And then setting the channel to LOR 1, channel 15

This way I can look down real fast if there is an issue and find the items on that channel

2) I'd really like to see a check mark or something next to that, which says "use", with the default yes...

And if its unchecked, this means that row is ignored.  This way when we get a new sequence or something we can just uncheck the ones we want to test and move around without going through and renaming every item and changing channels to something not used and then changing them back as we are ready to work on that segment.

I'm a bit confused by #1.  It seems as though you're already using the software as it was designed - to include the specific information you want. 

As for item 2, the software already does default to the "use" condition.  If you leave a channel blank then nothing happens.  If you program lighting events those commands occur at the time they're programmed.  When you create a new sequence, simply leave empty those channels you don't wish to use.

You can save your channel configuration for use in future sequences. (EDIT > EXPORT CHANNEL CONFIGURATION) Give the configuration a name - I use the date to help avoid future confusion - and then save. When you create a new sequence you can than use EDIT > IMPORT CHANNEL CONFIGURATION and you won't constantly have to be re-creating the wheel.

For #1, consider tracks. See this article for one way they can be used. You could have the master track going in order, thus making it easier to find the channels.

On #2, do you mean a checkbox that would disable the channel and thus not allow it to play the commands programmed into that channel?

Hover your mouse over the channel label.   A popup will confirm the unit and circuit settings for you.    You can also use  tools-channel config  to see them all at once.

hovercircuit.jpg

I'm a bit confused by #1.  It seems as though you're already using the software as it was designed - to include the specific information you want. 

As for item 2, the software already does default to the "use" condition.  If you leave a channel blank then nothing happens.  If you program lighting events those commands occur at the time they're programmed.  When you create a new sequence, simply leave empty those channels you don't wish to use.

You can save your channel configuration for use in future sequences. (EDIT > EXPORT CHANNEL CONFIGURATION) Give the configuration a name - I use the date to help avoid future confusion - and then save. When you create a new sequence you can than use EDIT > IMPORT CHANNEL CONFIGURATION and you won't constantly have to be re-creating the wheel.

#1 I'd like the program to display the channel thats being used automatically.  If I change for example a face from controller 1 to controller 5, I have to go in and not only change the channels, but then change the name to every item to display "eyes 1-1" to "eyes 5-1".. its a pain in the ass to have to rename everything

And by adding a seperate display collumn to the program, we could then sort the rows by controller automatically so if I'm moving things around to view them on the screen they can quickly be re-sorted back.

as for #2, if I only want to work on the faces and dont want everything else lighting up, I can simply uncheck everythign but the face.  I'm not about ready to delete everything just to only look at the face so an uncheck mark on everything but rows x, y and z would be very helpful.

Hover your mouse over the channel label.   A popup will confirm the unit and circuit settings for you.    You can also use  tools-channel config  to see them all at once.

hovercircuit.jpg

yes but I dont want to hover over every single line.  Tonight I had 4-5 lights all using the same controller number and I had to go through every item to find the ones lighting up in error.  Being able to sort or just scroll down to see the channels would be extremely helpful when troubleshooting.

For #1, consider tracks. See this article for one way they can be used. You could have the master track going in order, thus making it easier to find the channels.

On #2, do you mean a checkbox that would disable the channel and thus not allow it to play the commands programmed into that channel?

I'll check out #1 but yes #2,

I have some sequences that I dont use many of the rows (they were acquired when I bought some halloween stuff) and because I dont have all of the yard displays they have, a lot of them arent being used but i dont really want to delete them because as I acquire things I'll just rename the rows and assign the previously programmed sections to new props..

It would be nice to just unclick certain rows not being used for a certain display.

Or say I only want to work on face 1, and see it in action without lighting everything up, I'd like to just click the channels that use face 1, so only face 1 lights up.

Suggestions are welcome at  wishlist@lightorama.com.  The LOR developers might consider doing something but it would have to be prioritized in a list.  A general consensus that something is a good idea could help.  

Until then,  you could consider the helpful ideas offered you until the perfect solution is part of the software. 

You can use groups (far quicker and easier than tracks IMO) to group together different channels for sequencing specific items.

If you're using the Visualizer, you can create your scene with different elements on different levels. The Visualizer allows you to turn each level on or off (without affecting any sequencing) so just what you want to see is showing during playback .

Edited by George Simmons

You can use groups (far quicker and easier than tracks IMO) to group together different channels for sequencing specific items.

If you're using the Visualizer, you can create your scene with different elements on different levels. The Visualizer allows you to turn each level on or off (without affecting any sequencing) so just what you want to see is showing during playback .

George I use groups as you describe. Great way to clean up the sequencer display. And the visualizer is a great tool also. What you describe doing in the  the visualizer, I want to do on my display in real time. Can it be done?

What I think we really want is a way to disarm channels to allow for real time testing and trouble shooting. I like the simple check box Idea. Check the box and the channel won't send a signal to the controller or Visualizer. 

Kenny Jure

• Like 1

I understand what you're wishing for.  I can even see where it might be helpful from time to time.  As long as it isn't in the way and cannot inadvertently be changed.

I was simply showing how that exact same result can be fairly easily achieved using tools that are available today.

• Like 2

What I think we really want is a way to disarm channels to allow for real time testing and trouble shooting. I like the simple check box Idea. Check the box and the channel won't send a signal to the controller or Visualizer.

Exactly, there are times I dont really want to change a row to a channel not being used because I might want to change it back later.. I just want to uncheck saying, dont use this row.. 

Just an idea ... If you need to trouble shoot one or two channels, simply save the sequence to a new file, and do the work there.

I think over time you'll find that you won't worry about the other channels.

• 1 month later...

Another suggestion, if you can make the changes I noted above, then add in a way to change all of the channels on a device.

For example, I have RGB's on ID 1 but if I want to change it to 10, I have to go in and adjust all 24 rows one at a time.

Very painful..

There is a change all for a device on when using the channel config tool.

But this wouldnt change the sequences, correct?  I've got 40 sequences, 24 channels to change, thats 960 rows I have to change one at a time..

But this wouldnt change the sequences, correct?  I've got 40 sequences, 24 channels to change, thats 960 rows I have to change one at a time..

Yes, it will change the sequence. The Sequence Editor doesn't have any capability to adjust your hardware, just the sequences.

The "Change Controller" option would change the selected controller to whatever settings you choose. Make a backup copy of your sequence and try it. It's pretty straight forward.