Light-O-Rama Forums

How do we keep the kids of the dispaly area?

ezimnow

Well the show is getting more attention and I have a feeling it will be the same this year..we have a local FB page for our neighborhood and I decided after 3 years of doing the show to ask the "hood" what song would they like to hear and see synched to lights. We have over 600 families in the development ....Well that was mid September and I wasn't expecting much participation. I can say I was pleasantly surprised and drew many more posts and new ideas for songs than I can handle this year!   Which leads me to my topic title, If it gets so busy  how do you keep the kids off the lawn so as not to worry about tripping over any extension cords or inadvertently knocking something down?

I see some people line the front with Arch's.. Like to hear or see what other people do ....

Thanks

EZ

PS should read "OFF"  in the Topic title

Edited by ezimnow

snip....

I see some people line the front with Arch's.. Like to hear or see what other people do ....

Thanks

EZ

Taser!  Electric fence!  paintball!  Fire hose!  Guard dog!   :P

• Like 2

Chuck Smith of Planet Christmas suggested in one of his classes the use of red rope light along the ground to create a border and post signs saying " DANGER High voltage at all times." I have not had to use these ideas yet and he says even if kids are too young to read the danger signs their parents aren't. The red rope light defines the area that is ok to walk around and view and the area not to be crossed over into.

Later,

Al

I haven't been able to figure that out yet. People will just walk up in the yard and take pictures. They stay out of the animated display. I guess cause I outline the yard with lights to separate it from the rest of the display. But where my cutouts are people always walk in there.

I'm liking the rope idea as It wouldn't be to expensive. Taser's have gone up in price LOL!  :o         Nice dispaly 1983ss454....

I made some wooden candy canes to line the sidewalk with and string lights between them to create a 2 tier type fence.  Not 100% kid proof, but does a good enough job.  In our intro we ask people to stay out for safety reasons as well.

• Like 1

I haven't been able to figure that out yet. People will just walk up in the yard and take pictures. They stay out of the animated display. I guess cause I outline the yard with lights to separate it from the rest of the display. But where my cutouts are people always walk in there.
That's my problem as well, parents tell their kids, even with danger keep out signs and fence, to walk in to take a picture with the cutouts. I must have told 75-100 people this year to stay outside the fence lol
I'm liking the rope idea as It wouldn't be to expensive. Taser's have gone up in price LOL!  :o         Nice dispaly 1983ss454....
Thank you

I have 5 Intercactive Buttons...kids are most interested in those as they make certain sound effects and make certain lights go on...and they are only active for about 5 minutes at the end of each 25 minute show. But the kids know they are there and wait for the announcemnt declaring they can now push the buttons...

Have not had any problem with kids (or adults) entering the yard

Need an electronic zapper that automatically zaps the parents when the kids cross the line..

Your idea is needed at Wal-Mart and other stores during the holiday shopping season.

Have not had any problem with kids (or adults) entering the yard

Well Jim, what does that say about your display???

Just kidding :)

Your idea is needed at Wal-Mart and other stores during the holiday shopping season.

Well Jim, what does that say about your display???

Just kidding :)

It says they are so intrigued by the lights and music they don't even THINK about exploring in the yard with fear they might miss something!!!  :P

Edited by jimswinder

It says they are so intrigued by the lights and music they don't even THINK about exploring in the yard with fear they might miss something!!!  :P

It says something below your tune to sign... oh yes.... Hard Hat's Required. 

No wonder the yard is vacant...

(Yea, I went there)

• Like 1

I use Walmart Candy Canes as posts for a candy cane and string light fence.  The twenty five canes are spread across five channels that I can chase, shimmer etc.  I also use my cheap strings on the fence as they have been crossed a time or two and snagged.  But that was by cul de sac kids in the daytime riding bikes.  At night, no problems. 

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B391FEB1972280F0!251&authkey=!AM7euCh-E7P30Mc&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

Next year I am upgrading the fence to using these as candy canes:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B391FEB1972280F0!364&authkey=!AL09TAPTRvF4JVs&ithint=folder%2c

-RainyOregonchiStmaS

That happens here a lot.. they start to drive up, they see the lights and forget they are driving.. blocking the street and not paying attention where the rest of the world is... Bad joo joo

• Like 1

It says something below your tune to sign... oh yes.... Hard Hat's Required. 

No wonder the yard is vacant...

(Yea, I went there)

Hey...it was pretty difficult to get my Mega Tree to fall on cue when they pushed the interactive button!!!  :P

• Like 1

That happens here a lot.. they start to drive up, they see the lights and forget they are driving.. blocking the street and not paying attention where the rest of the world is... Bad joo joo

I did a drive-through light show for a local campground a few years ago. People were driving right off the road into the ditches.  On more than one occasion they had to get a tow-truck out there.

Next year I am upgrading the fence to using these as candy canes:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B391FEB1972280F0!364&authkey=!AL09TAPTRvF4JVs&ithint=folder%2c

-RainyOregonchiStmaS

These are too cool. Are you making these candy canes or did you see them somewhere to buy?

Move to Minnesota and pray for lots of snow and bitterly cold windy nights in December. Guaranteed to keep the kids out of your yard and where they belong - in their cars pestering their parents. ;)

Edited by George Simmons