Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D Controller Setup For Dummies

Rapajez

Hey all, I'm looking at purchasing the CMB24D Controller + 8 RGB single pixel ribbon. The idea is to create a smaller mega-tree with 8 rows, or if it doesn't look dense enough, add to my existing megatree (link below).

According to the store info, it requires an external power supply and enclosure. I really have no idea what I'm looking for there. It looks like there's a PSU available on the website here: http://store.lightorama.com/1260waposu.html, is that any good? What enclosures would you recommend? How hard is it for a noob to cable this up? Is soldering required? 

Is this really the best solution for a "dumb" single-pixel mega tree, or are there better solutions out there (specifically all-in-one, assembled kits, for lazy people like me.) :)

Last-Year's Megatree:

• Like 1

The power supply in the LOR store will handle what you need.  (As will others.)

If you can turn a screwdriver, you're good.

• 3 weeks later...

The power supply in the LOR store will handle what you need.  (As will others.)

If you can turn a screwdriver, you're good.

The power supply that the op posted may be too small. The one posted is a 200w power supply and a CMB24 with eight strips will pull 288w in full on white. You should only pull 80% so I would go with a 350w power supply which you can get for about $28.

The power supply that the op posted may be too small.

Really? You mean LOR is intentionally selling a power supply inadequate to run the items they sell it to run? That sounds pretty unethical of them, wouldn't you say?

Really? You mean LOR is intentionally selling a power supply inadequate to run the items they sell it to run? That sounds pretty unethical of them, wouldn't you say?

If that is what I meant then that is what I would have said. I said that if the op runs eight (8) RGB strips at full on white then 200w will not be enough power, 8x36w=288w. The last time I checked 288 is higher then 200.

12VDC 200 Watt Power Supply

Use this power supply to power 12VDC LED devices such as our LED strips and floods. This Power Supply is designed for outdoor use and operation in cold temperatures.

Comes with a regular 120V plug and spade connectors on the outputs for easy attachment to the Light-O-Rama CMB24D controller card.

• Input: 100-240vAC, 47-63Hz
  • Output: 12VDC - 200W   
  • Two DC outputs can be connected for single load 
  • Output has short circuit protection
  • *******Power up to 16 of our 10W floods or 8 of our single pixel LED strips. ******
  • Working Temp: -30 ~ +60 C
  • Cooling: Normal Conduction (no fan required) 
  • Weather proof ( IP67 ) 
  • Comes ready to use with  120VAC plug and spade connectors for connection to the CMB24D card.

RGB Ribbon (150 LEDs)

• *******Input 12VDC, 20 Watts*******
  • 150 - 50/50 RGB LED - 16' (5 meters) long 
  • Weather proof covering 
  • Comes with 6' power cord
  • Requires a DC-PWM driver for RGB effects (use the CMB24D)
  • Requires a 12VDC Power Source

The RGB-Ribbon-150 is a single pixel (dumb) RGB Ribbon. To use this ribbon you will need a controller card, we recommend the CMB24D controller. You will also need a 12VDC power supply.

Click Here for more information about using the CMB24D to drive LED devices.

Note: Software is not included. Need Software? We recommend that you purchase the Generic Starter Package to receive the software at a discounted price.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The images above are copied straight from the website. The Red italicized section says each ribbon uses 20 watts. I figure 8 ribbons at 20 watts apiece or, 160 watts total, which is exactly 80% of the 200 watt power supply.

Hmmm. It looks like the OP will be just fine to me.

Please post a copy of the link where you got that info. I have never seen an RGB strip rated at 20w. I have seen the single colors at 20w but not the RGB. Even the smaller 3528's are rated higher then 20w.

Edited by Mr. P

It's the 150 count which probably explains the lower watts.

The 300 and 600 count obviously will be higher.

I don't see any of that info at the link you provided.

It's the 150 count which probably explains the lower watts.

The 300 and 600 count obviously will be higher.

All the RGB that I have ever seen avg around 36w for the 150 and 72w for the 300. I have seen single colors in the 20w range but that is it.

http://store.lightorama.com/1260waposu.html This is the power supply. It is the first part of my post

http://store.lightorama.com/rgbst150pi.html This is the RGB Ribbon which is the second part of my post.

Looks pretty straight forward to me

Edited by Ron Boyd

Okay 20w, that is the first I have ever seen RGB rated at 20w. However, I would still recommend the 350w power supply it is 1/3 the price and if he ever gets other strips which do avg over 30w then he would still be good to go.

I think I am going to purchase one of those strips for testing. I just find it hard to believe that they can be RGB 150 LED 50/50 and rated at 20w when 99% out there are over 30.

Did I just miss it or has anybody said what type of enclosure to put the power supply and controller in?  I also am new to RGB and am trying to figure out how best to weather proof the components. 

Never mind, I found it.  CG-1500

Edited by Daryle D

• The topic was locked