Light-O-Rama Forums

only 8 channels will dim on my new controller

CagneyZoo

Not sure if it is a defect or human error.  I have a new 16 channel lor controller with 16 sets of 5mm multi color led lights plugged in.  when I test it channels 9-16 dim just fine, but channels 1-8 only dim slightly and then turn off.  I've gone into the configure window and changed 1-8 to dim curve01 but it doesn't help anything.  

help please!  

Thanks

Edited by CagneyZoo

Are you sure it isn't the lights?  Not all LEDs dim smoothly or at all - regardless of the dimming curve used.

Have you tried removing the NON-dimming LED strands and put them in one of the channels that IS dimming an LED strand?

If no, you should try that, if the LED strand STILL DOES NOT dim on the channel that dimmed the other strand, it's NOT the controller.  Unfortunately, you have a strand that is not dimmable!  Now if the strand dims on that channel and you put the strand that dimmed on say channel 1 and it now doesn't dim, then I'd think something is wrong in the controller somewhere.

However, what brand are these LED strands you have on channels 1-8?

Are they identical to the ones on channels 9-16 or different?

As George stated, NOT all LED strands are dimmable, and if they are "Martha Stewart" brand LED's, those are only good for FULL ON or FULL OFF commands, the effects LOR puts out of the controllers or so i've heard, actually had one set of these type LED strands literally burst into flames!   So if Martha Stewar brand LED strands, you'd be best to not use them, and find another brand that will do all the effects you want to achieve.

I've not had an issue with LED strands I've bought at Big Lots, Walgreen's, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, or K-Mart. Some of the brands I've bought are: Holiday Home, Phillips, GE and some off brand names I can't recall at the moment.

But from what I've read in the forums, definitely stay away from any Martha Stewart brand LED's for use with LOR controllers!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your help.  All the strands are the same, from the same box.  They are commercial quality lights that I buy in bulk from a supplier.  I switched them around and still only half dim, and it's happening with both my lor boxes I got, so what are the chances they are both defective?  

Only half? Like channels 1-8 or 9-16? Or is it some random half (like 3,4, 6,7,8, 10, 15,16)?

If it is the first, check for power before and after the fuse.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar issue regarding only 8 channels...I only see 8 channels in my sequence editor.  Is there a configuration I should be looking for to display all 16 channels of the unit when I import a song?

And, yes....I am a newbie -- and excited to be here!

Thanks!

When you created the sequence you may have not specified that it needed to be 16 channels. I believe it defaults to 8 channels. This is and easy fix.

1. Go into your sequence.

2. Go to the TOOLS drop down.

3. Select Channel Configuration

4. Add 8 more channels

5. You will now see 16 channels displayed in the Channel Configuration window.
6. Configure CH 9-16 as follows

a. Name  - (anything you like)

b. Device Type - Light-O-Rama Controller

c. Network - Regular

d. Unit - 01  

e. Circuit - 9 - 16

This is also helpful when you add more controllers in the future. You can just go in to your old sequences and add another unit with 16 more channels.
Happy sequencing!

Edited by m1ke05

I have a similar issue regarding only 8 channels...I only see 8 channels in my sequence editor.  Is there a configuration I should be looking for to display all 16 channels of the unit when I import a song?

And, yes....I am a newbie -- and excited to be here!

Thanks!

Import a  song or import a sequence that someone else made Being a newbie I just want to make sure you understand that there are songs and then there are sequences.

If you are attempting to use one of our residential controllers on Commercial (3 or more phase) power, you will see an issue with channels 9-16.  

In residential power installations, the two legs of the power are 180 degrees out of phase, so our residential controllers only have 1 power sensing circuit built into them.  This sensor determines when the power cycle is in the process of reversing.  Both legs will always be at 0 volts at the same time, even though one is going into the 'positive' cycle, and the other into the 'negative' cycle.

Commercial power can have 3 or more phases.  In 3 phase power, each leg is 120 degrees out of phase with the next.  That means that when the power sensing circuit sees one leg in the process of reversing, the other is NOT yet there (or past) the reverse.  Since the dimmer missed the 'Zero Cross' for that leg, it is unable to properly control the channels.

Solutions:

We do not recommend using residential controllers in a commercial environment since these devices are designed for temporary residential use and do not have a UL certification.  Our Commercial controllers also have additional circuitry and programming to separately monitor each leg so that this issue does not happen.  You should opt to use these controllers in a commercial environment rather than residential controllers.

If you must use a residential controller in a commercial environment, you can plug both plugs of a residential unit into the same outlet (using a triple tap or similar).  This will ensure both sides of the controller are on the same phase.  HOWEVER you are now limited to drawing 15A or less on that controller since both plugs are now on the same circuit.  You will need to CAREFULLY monitor your maximum draws to ensure that you do not exceed the circuit.

You can also experiment with different circuits to see if you can find one that is separate from the first, but still on the same phase.