Light-O-Rama Forums

Using A Snow Machine with a show?

Killer Panda

I'm thinking of adding a snow machine into a couple of my songs and was wondering if anyone out has used these in a sequence. I'd like to use snow machine to make a small flurry of snow for 5 to 10 second bursts several time throughout a sequence.

1) Would the snow machine need to be at a ready state or could it just be powered up when needed with a short delay. 

2) Wondering what is the estimated time of consumption of a gallon of the snow fluid.

Looking for any suggestions or thoughts

Thanks,

Andy B

My snow machine is dmx controlled, so all I need to do is turn on the power to it before the show starts.  Most snow machines, to my knowledge, don't have to be powered up like a fog machine.  It is just a pump and a blower, so it is pretty much instantaneous when you trigger it.  As for how long a gallon of fluid lasts, it is hard to say.  Depends upon how powerful your snow machine is as well as the duration it is on and how many times your sequences repeat.

K panda I used a snow machine last year worked fine till temps dropped then the snow fluid froze solid cant use outdoors in cold climate

Thanks,

Denny by chance what brand of snow machine are you using? I've looked at a couple, just trying to get a feel for what is out there.

Dennis, that was a concern of mine with the fluid freezing. I plan to use two at this point and both will be situated in an attic window. I may have to figure out a way to keep the liquid warm. I may just use some heat tape.

Thanks Again

Killer Panda,

Snow Machines do not need to be DMX controlled but it would certainly be easier if it was.

A DMX machine would simply be "on" all the time and waiting for a DMX command to start pumping snow.

My snow machine, which I bought from http://globalspecialeffects.com/snowmachine.aspx is connected to an LOR channel via a relay.

I only have it on a relay because Dan was worried the power draw might be too much for LOR directly.

We power on the machine and a few seconds later the snow flies out of it! It's fantastic!

Each snow machine will be rated differently for the amount of fluid it uses so its hard to say how much you will need.

If you do call Global Special Effects, tell em Jeff from California sent ya! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I learned that you can modify the snow solution with alcohol to make it work in the colder temps but what the new formula is, I don't know. You could use water-pipe strip heaters to keep the container warm too plus wrapping it with mylar or similar.

• 1 month later...

Jeff 

Thanks for the insight. Just got the snow machine today from Global and it works great.  

Thanks You All for you input and advice!!     :D    

maybe just use a small heating pad like you use for a sprain wrist on it to keep it from freezing.

doesn't use much electricity and can also be covered with a plastic bag to help keep it dry if it is outside or in a damp area.

I will let you guys know how it works. I got the snow machine with the hose on the end which will allow me keep it inside where it will draw in the warm air and use it to blow out a 2nd floor window. I may have to make a shelve for it to sit on so that the hose will reach the top of the window.

Thanks Again

KP

• 2 months later...

I will let you guys know how it works. I got the snow machine with the hose on the end which will allow me keep it inside where it will draw in the warm air and use it to blow out a 2nd floor window. I may have to make a shelve for it to sit on so that the hose will reach the top of the window.

Thanks Again

KP

Put a fan or blower just under it, pointing out the window; mucho improvemento.