Light-O-Rama Forums

Some RGB Questions

LoganMc

Hi all,

I'm new to LOR but have decided to jump straight into RGB due to its versatility and year-round usability. From a value standpoint, it seems best to buy the CMB24D and Generic Starter Pack for LOR's store, and use third party RGB devices, power supply, and accessories (e.g. wiring, connectors, enclosure, etc). My questions are these:

a) Could someone please recommend any inexpensive RGB devices, power supplies, etc. that you have personal experience with?

B) I was thinking about how to run the network cable from the controller to my computer and something occurred to me. Is it possible to use powerline kits to transmit the LOR protocol?

c) Any problems with what I outlined above?

Thanks in advance,

LoganMc

As for power supplies and accessories I've had great service from Ray Wu and Creative Lighting Displays.

As for a power line kit, I don't think it's something to mess with. LOR protocol transmits power over Ethernet cable as well as data. Also there can be slow transmission rates with a power line kit

Ray Wu seems to have very high Canadian shipping rates. As for Creative Lighting Displays, this is what seemed best for me:

Power Supply

RGB Strips x7

Cables of Various Lengths

Enclosure

Pigtails x7

Then the CMB24D and Generic Starter Kit from LOR.

Any issues with the above?

Edited by LoganMc

You are definitely on the right track. I would go with cg1500. More space is always nice. Maybe a bigger power supply. Nothing wrong with more power. I've ordered into canada from both suppliers. Ray uses dhl, very quick. CLD uses UPS, they kill you on brokerage and duty

Thanks for the advice so far. That hasn't been my personal experience with UPS but I'll take your word for it. Just one more question: any advice on how to mount the strips on gutters/trim for year round use (Southwestern Ontario)? I've looked at things like industrial strength Velcro and tracks but I'm curious to see what's out there.

Thanks

LoganMc

Thanks for the advice so far. That hasn't been my personal experience with UPS but I'll take your word for it. Just one more question: any advice on how to mount the strips on gutters/trim for year round use (Southwestern Ontario)? I've looked at things like industrial strength Velcro and tracks but I'm curious to see what's out there.

Thanks

LoganMc

You may want to check out Holidaycoro's web site. They have some really nice mounting hardware for rgb strips. They also carry some mounting hardware for enclosures.

The OP is from Canada and holiday coro won't ship north across the border. I haven't found a good drop shipper to use yet either.

As for the mounting, search a solution using J channel from your local hardware store, also a lot of people comment about mounting them to PVC and hanging them off the eaves

The OP is from Canada and holiday coro won't ship north across the border. I haven't found a good drop shipper to use yet either.

As for the mounting, search a solution using J channel from your local hardware store, also a lot of people comment about mounting them to PVC and hanging them off the eaves

Now if the OP could find someone he could have the JC items shipped too, then the OP pay the shipping from that destination {hopefully someone real close to the Canadian Border}, they could acquire some of HC's fine wares.   But's that only way I know of to get anything from HC into Canada, unless someone's going there to visit and could "drop it off" at the OP's house.

Using Ray Wu: never just accept the aliexpress shipping quote. Fill out your order then send Ray a message via contact in the Ali web page requesting shipping rate. It will always be less than Hong Kong post rate shown by aliexpress but he will ship fedex, at least to us in the states. I ask for DHL because it is faster than fedex as the Hong Kong fedex is overwhelmed.

I use glazing tape to secure my CCRs to my trim. I leave those up year round. Find it at amazon. Found the info in these forums about it.

My gutter strips I take down so they don't get damaged during the yearly gutter cleaning. For those I have my strips on emt piping (tie wrapped) and use s hooks to keep them in place. Also found this info in these forums.

There is a thread in the forums on Velcro and strip lighting. Check it out. Bottom line is nothing sticks to the strips protective coating so having permanent Velcro on the strips is not easily attained. Unless you have a deep wallet.

Good luck,

Sax

B) I was thinking about how to run the network cable from the controller to my computer and something occurred to me. Is it possible to use powerline kits to transmit the LOR protocol?

No.

Powerline adapters only work with Ethernet. Despite the fact that both LOR and Ethernet use Cat-5 cable with RJ-45-style connectors, they are completely different electrically. The LOR network has auxiliary power on pins 3 and 6, which can easily destroy an Ethernet transformer.