Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP NEEDED running wires in a new room outside

bhunt240

well guys i didnt plan this out to well but me and my wife moved the computer and all our sons gaming stuff into a new bigger room and it has hard wood floors and now im almost done sequencing and starting on some new props and it hit me i need to find a way to get my cat5 cable outside and the 2 speaker wires with out destroying too much lol...... any ideas?

my only thought is to drill a few holes in the corner behind the comp desk in the floor and then use a media wire single switch plate with the flap to cover and be tight around wires and screw it down to the floor??? 

any other ideas?? we do have a crawl space

Well this is how I might do it.  I would get one of those handy boxes that I think that is call old work (has the wings to hold it to the dry wall from behind. Once the hole is cut into the dry wall. Use an installers bit and drill down through the still plate into the crawl space. Then use one of those media plates that screws onto the handy box. Then route the wires outside and install a surface box and again one of those media plates. Now you can hook up your outside wires and then remove them for summer.  Now to keep it simple stupid as the saying goes. I would be tempted to forgo the media plate inside and just get one of those plates with a hole or make your own from a blank plate. And run the wires directly to the computer for cat 5 and where ever like an amp for the audio. Less jacks and plugs the less that can go wrong.

Saying this. I will have to admit that I has this dual plates with RJ-45 sockets. Then I just install a small patch cord inside and a longer one outside to the first controller.

Nice tgank you sir!

I didn't know of an installers drill bit that would the curve without removing a lot of drywall

I've used your "drill a small hole through the floor in the corner" approach in two different houses in which I've lived and it worked very well in both cases.  I'm certain Paul's idea is better, but I liked having the job done quick and simple.

I agree George I might just stick with the small hole in the corner and silicone around the wires to keep out critters lol

I use the LOR miniDirector. Entire SHOW is on a SD memory card. No wires to poke through house. And in my case, was easier to recreate the SHOW at my new house when we moved last year.

well guys i didnt plan this out to well but me and my wife moved the computer and all our sons gaming stuff into a new bigger room and it has hard wood floors and now im almost done sequencing and starting on some new props and it hit me i need to find a way to get my cat5 cable outside and the 2 speaker wires with out destroying too much lol...... any ideas?

my only thought is to drill a few holes in the corner behind the comp desk in the floor and then use a media wire single switch plate with the flap to cover and be tight around wires and screw it down to the floor??? 

any other ideas?? we do have a crawl space

Look around for a used laptop (ebay, thrift shop, FreeCycle). I bet you could find one for about $100. If you consider any tools or material (additional cat5, speaker wire, etc) you'd have to pay to get the current location to work the "net" amount you're paying would be even less than that. 

Nice tgank you sir!

I didn't know of an installers drill bit that would the curve without removing a lot of drywall

Check out a "snake bit drill" they are hollow so you just pass the wires through the bit after you drill.   They also have some that are 2-3 feet long so you can make the angle from a standard wall opening into the bottom plate of your wall.

I used to install Alarm systems many many moons ago as a young man. I never had to, but they do make a hand held device that you slide over the shaft and use it to give the shaft a little more push. But I have always made it through the still plate and not out the other side of the wall. In the past few years I have bought a few installer drill bits. They have come in quite handy. Got mine at Home Depot.

And for drilling up from below. Sometimes you might drill up on the wrong side of the stud. And you might not have enough room between the foundation and the bottom of the still plate. But hey it was just a suggestion. And if your more comfortable with a little hole in the corner, well then thats what you should do.

• The topic was locked