Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB intensity

kzaas

Is there a way to adjust the overall intensity of an object? For instance if I have my RGB mega tree all sequenced but I discover that the intensity is too bright. Can I turn that down without having to go to go through every channel?

• 2 months later...

I did a full-on test tonight as well and discovered that ribbons are bright! They make the rest of the display a non issue.  The tree is really too bright.  I have tried the intensity tools and that did not work.  These are rgb ribbons controlled with a sandevices e682.  Since this is DMX and a non-LOR controller the HWU is not the answer.  I either need to dim these lights or give out sunglasses to visitors!

Thanks, Chris

So far, I've found no global way to do this either. It gets down to managing each channel individually which is a pain because you are changing 3 channels and hoping not to mess up the colors and making these changes across a whole sequence. I was hoping LOR would come out with a simple select group area type thing and globally change intensities, but it didn't happen.

This thread discusses directly editing the HTML sequence file to do mass changes.

Read carefully, you CAN break the sequence this way. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. 

As I said in the thread. Not for the faint of heart.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/32862-sequence-editor-search-replace/

Thanks Phil, I did read that thread before I posted but I was not sure if that would work for what I want to do. I have never done this before but I have at least 3 backups! Can anyone give a little more detail on how to do this for the less knowledgeable? It would be so much easier if there were an LOR tool in SE or if the Sandevices and other boards had firmware that allowed scaling of intensities. I have no idea how much of an isse such a code would be.

Thank, Chris

Edited by alchrisr01

I tried the HTML method and it is way over my head. I was successful in editing a sequence, however the adjustments (100 to 75% max) only applied to channels that were on at 100%.  Fades were not affected.  I know it had to do with the way I did it.  I then created a new sequence and copy/pasted the ribbon tree only into it and opened it in Notepad.  I took one look and decided this was way beyond me!  It appears that for RGB you will have to edit the intensity of each pixel (3 channels) correctly or the color will be screwed, and you will have to do this for thousands of lines of code.  In simple analog terms, if we had a dimmer switch on the end of each dongle the problem would be solved.  I emailed Jim at Sandevices and he said there is no current way to change the max output of the board.  I suppose I could just wrap the tree in window tint! :)  Could be that the rest of the lights are just to dim.

Download and try the free Notepad++. It has a lot more editing options than Windows notepad. For instance, you can select a large segment and apply the replace to only that area. Watch out for case sensitivity. You also have to work your way through the different commands. Fades are startintensity and end intensity separate from Intensity events. Its hard to explain, just comes with practice and some trial and error. Test frequently and backup.

I have been begging for this type a tool for a long time. something as simple as selecting a single channel or group and adjusting the intensity of all events in those channels by a certain percentage. I don't understand why the LOR people can't seem to get this. the LOR software works for lights exactly the way MIDI software works for sound and this type of intensity tool is a stable for most midi software. Come on LOR, help us out here. With a lot of us converting to RGB a little at a time we need a better intensity tool for real time use. RGB is way brighter the incans or LEDs. just saying.

Kenny Jure

I am also looking for LOR to implement a way to reduce the brightness globally for all my RGB channels without affecting the color...

Thanks,

-Roy