Light-O-Rama Forums

mega tree colors

godman

I've decided to do a 16ft mega tree this year and I was wondering what colors look the best? Since I'm a newbie I'm going to go with a standard straight tree (no spirals, or rgb) the lights will be LED but I haven't purchased them yet. I will animate it in my sequences but I was wondering if I should go with a white only tree, multi colored, or red/white et. What looks the best?

Any opinions :rolleyes:

The white looks good from the online videos I have seen.  However, I use 16 Red-Blue-Green-White strings of lights--four of each.  That also looks good.  My tree is about 12 feet tall since I use my flagpole.  Good luck and have fun from a second year LOR user. 

If you do a single-color spiral tree I guarantee you'll be far more richly rewarded with people saying neat things than with any ordinary mega tree you can concoct. I don't want to offend people by saying mega trees are boring, but they really are.

As for sequencing, a single-color spiral tree is easier to sequence than a multi-color mega tree.

I am with George on the spiral tree!! how many channels are you planning?? I have a "Weber tree" 8 channels red and 8 channels green. then

I have my 16 channel spiral tree over those channels. everyone comments on the spiral tree!! I live in the middle of farm country so many guys

refer to it as the auger tree. its not hard to build, if you have enough channels go for it!!

The tree I did last year was 16 channels each, Red, Green Blue and Pure White. In my signature picture below, it's the one on the right. You can see it in action on my website, also in my signature. 

I see you're on the West coast, but if you're interested, I have all the strings from that tree available for sale. I don't know what the shipping would be, but I'll make you a deal on the strings. All came from Holiday Light Express. Whites and blues are 2 seasons old and the red and green are 1 season old. All are full-wave LEDs. I am no longer using Non-RGB lights of any kind so, I need to unload them. 

PM me if you're interested in the lights.

As to you're OP, I agree with George and irene. The spirals are a pain to get right, but man they're cool. 

When I did mine, I was already at 32 channels plus a 33rd for the ball on top. I didn't want to add more channels and using relays to switch color flavors was actually more expensive than buying more controllers...so I elected to use "Multi" strings of M6 LEDs, therefore all colors and omni-directional viewing. It turned out nice. Not as fancy as mupltiple colors of course but still good enough. Last year, I added the second megatree but its electrically reversed of the first one, therefore no extra controllers needed

Count me in the spiral camp. I had a red-blue-green one for two years. Added 16 channel white spiral last year, which really impressed people. It's been less than awe-inspiring when thinking about sequencing the standard tree.

As far as colors, you can't go wrong with the four basics. If I had to choose one color, I would choose white.

If we're choosing a single color for the spiral tree you've gotta go blue.  Not incandescent blue but LED blue.  That blue is such a stark contrast to the dark of night it's awe-inspiring.  Even in the middle of a busy display it commands immediate attention.