Light-O-Rama Forums

Awards

Bizywk

Dan,

I've always been impressed with LOR service and your hardware, but perhaps even more so, the community you developed to help us new guys. 

I was immediately hooked on this hobby after monitoring this forum for a short time, and have always been very impressed at the quality of people who frequent this site. It is densly populated with exceptional hobbyists who have deep experience in this field and will go the extra distance to help others.  As a newbie, there have been many folks who helped my family and I get our feet on the ground and efficiently adopt the right hardware, techniques and know how.  For that I am truly thankful to those folks.

I'd be very hard pressed to come up with a full list of people, but a few folks like itsmeBobO, Smeigan, James, George (PlasmaDrive), Bobby (Gigogig), Jeff Messer, K6CCC and others immediately come to mind.  (My humble apologies to the others whom I fail to list due to my oversight, but we appreciate you too.)

LOR has given out recognition for exceptional displays in past years, but has it ever considered a recognition program for those long-time folks who have put themselves out there for others over the years with no intent for compensation of any kind?   i.e. BobO's newbie scholarship efforts, or James giving away hundreds of free sequences, or any of a dozen other long timers that are always there within minutes of a question with a great experienced answer? 

The forums are quite a marketing advantage for LOR in that these guys seem to be online 24x7 to provide free help desk support even faster than the world class LOR help desk - all for the benefit of helping the lesser experienced and ultimately the hobby itself.

It sure would be great if we could start some type of an award program - even if the award would be just a token of appreciation they could display above their computer.  

Just a humble suggestion.    

Reference:  http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/31150-frozen-let-it-go-sequence/page-5     #150

Edited by LORAdmin
Mod Edit: "Don" to "Dan"

Sounds like a great and nice idea.

I'd definitely have to nominate George Simmons, even though George and I have our disagreements from time to time, he's a great asset here on the forums and I really have learned a lot from George here{whether he thinks so or not! :o  :lol:}, as well as others here.  

So if this ever comes to fruition, George Simmons would be my first nomination for one these type awards.

Hey Orv, Don't forget  wbottomley and Jeff Millard.   These two where here long before most of us.

Hey Orv, Don't forget  wbottomley and Jeff Millard.   These two where here long before most of us.

Yes, but are they still here on the forums?   I know William Bottomley has left the forums and is no longer here.   As for Jeff, did a members search, his name still shows up, but his post count shows 0 {ZERO} posts now.     So it doesn't seem he's taking part in the forums at least not currently and not for some time now.  BTW: did a search for William and no user comes up for his name.

So the way I interpret the awards post above are for those that are STILL ACTIVELY INVOLVED and posting on the LOR Forums, and George Simmons is very active here.   And why George Simmons was my nomination.

After all, how can you award someone for helping on the LOR forums?  Especially if they are no longer participating regularly and you can't find absolutely no posts from them on the current forums?

So even though I agree, they were of great help on the old forum setup, William has left and seems Jeff has kept his account, but is not actively involved, so in all earnest, how could I nominate them currently?   If they were still here and posting, you can bet I would have added their names to the list of nominees.

Edited by Orville

So the way I interpret the awards post above are for those that are STILL ACTIVELY INVOLVED and posting on the LOR Forums,

Perhaps you are overthinking this just a bit.

Perhaps you are overthinking this just a bit.

But how can you give an award to someone that is no longer participating here?   That was my point Don.  And apparently that point was completely missed.   So, no, I don't think I was "over-thinking" this one at all.  But, that's just MY opinion.

I have to agree with Orville on this one, I believe Mr. Bottomley has sold off his LOR equipment and has chosen to pursue the DIY route and I have never heard of Jeff Millard.

I also agree that George Simmons is a worthy nominee and i would also like to suggest John Storms, Don and Ron Boyd, all of whom provide assistance on a frequent basis.

Thanks also to the OP for a great idea!

You have always been great  help to me that is how I learned how to do sequence thank you crackchecker

With all due respect though, It's amazing to me to look back and see just how many beautiful displays have gone dim over the past few years.  Along with them, some tallent gone forever!

While I agree this is a great idea, I do think that you would have to make at least two categories,  lets say pro and amateur.

A person who has the ability to write software should not be in the same category as a person that cannot. While both give much needed assistance, the ability of the two are way different.  Maybe both can offer answers to most of the questions, one has the upper hand in giving a "tool" that makes it easier. Also no LOR partners or employees should be eligible. 

I would like to see  this actually happen, but there has to be a lot of thought into how it would work and the "rules" to it.

I wish you all a lot of luck, again, great idea.

One thought would be a simple vote by all of the members.  Any member nominated, when started, should not be able to post in the forum regarding it.

Just my thoughts,  don't hate.

I gota agree with everyone, and Bizywk, I too was "Hooked" when I started simply reading the forums (hadn't even bought at that time),

EVERYONE (yes, even Max-Paul :) has helped me at one point or another, and I've tried to do the same (where I can).

Greg

I gota agree with everyone, and Bizywk, I too was "Hooked" when I started simply reading the forums (hadn't even bought at that time),

EVERYONE (yes, even Max-Paul :) has helped me at one point or another, and I've tried to do the same (where I can).

Greg

I agree with Max-Paul as a nominee as well.    I've learned a lot of the new electrical regulations from the forums due to his information, and help at times as well.

I wish I could remember everyone's name that has always put out great information and help.

I think the main reason George Simmons came to my mind first and foremost is because we're always disagreeing on something.   Right George? :P

But in all fairness, George has really helped me a lot, he just might not know it!   I've learned a lot from his posts, watching his display videos and anyone that's a Pink Floyd fan, well, now, if you love Pink Floyd {and I know George is a Pink Floyd fan as well}, you're alright in my book.   No matter how many times I may disagree with them. :lol:  :P

While awards might be a nice thing for a few, others feelings will obviously be hurt.

I've been dealing with LOR since 2005 (Planet Christmas first then when LOR jumped to it's own forum).

While I've been a part of history, alot of other folks have too and everyone appreciates helping or being helped. I sure do.

But singling a few out for a pat on the back doesn't seem right when we're all a part of this.

Judging a display and all the hard work that went into it is one thing. So many different catagories. Well it's kinda the same but different with members here.

Someone might share a lot of sequencing. Someone might provide electrical advice. Someone might be a guru on CCRs or RGB or LEDs. Someone might be popular because they can be on the forum all the time with some input of some sort. I'm not pointing anyone out. It's just so many variances that how can someone be judged for one talent/knowledge but then others be overlooked for different talent/knowledge?

And for past members who used to be here? Well there are reasons they left. But they still helped build the community we have today.

It's just a thought.

While awards might be a nice thing for a few, others feelings will obviously be hurt.

I've been dealing with LOR since 2005 (Planet Christmas first then when LOR jumped to it's own forum).

While I've been a part of history, alot of other folks have too and everyone appreciates helping or being helped. I sure do.

But singling a few out for a pat on the back doesn't seem right when we're all a part of this.

Judging a display and all the hard work that went into it is one thing. So many different catagories. Well it's kinda the same but different with members here.

Someone might share a lot of sequencing. Someone might provide electrical advice. Someone might be a guru on CCRs or RGB or LEDs. Someone might be popular because they can be on the forum all the time with some input of some sort. I'm not pointing anyone out. It's just so many variances that how can someone be judged for one talent/knowledge but then others be overlooked for different talent/knowledge?

And for past members who used to be here? Well there are reasons they left. But they still helped build the community we have today.

It's just a thought.

Never thought about those issues Tom.   You make some excellent points there.

I know I try and help folks all the time myself, but I guess I may be one of the few that grew up when schools taught such things like "disappointment" and none of this nonsense that "everyone" HAS to be a winner.  Sorry, but sometimes you have to lose, and you shouldn't be awarded because you got your feelings hurt over something like this.   Disappointment, hurt feelings and the like are what ARE supposed to make you stronger and grow.

Sadly in today's society of "Political Correctness" {a term I detest}, everyone now seems have a sense of entitlement and the world owes them any and everything.

So I can take the award or I can leave it, if I'm not or never nominated, that's not going to bother me or hurt my feelings in the least, but like stated, I grew up to learn about losing and walking away with nothing.

But today, that seems to be a factor we are all losing sight of.

Again good points, and I can partially agree with a few of them, just not 100%.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a really good discussion guys, and I can certainly understand your points.   I just wanted to find a way to humbly show respect and say Thanks! to all those that helped and especially to those that step it up quite a bit to help others.   This is certainly a great expanded list of those that always do for others, and I'm quite certain there are still many others yet to be named that have inspired & helped us.  This suggestion was for a small recognition program.  If it comes to fruition, my hope is that it will help keep the forums fresh and encourage this helpful atmosphere stay just the way it is.  

At any rate - Hat's Off and a raised glass to all those guys willing to jump in there on these forums to help out a budding enthusiast!   You all have my deepest appreciation and respect.    

Now, its almost show time so lets get out there and get those displays up!    Shock and Awe my friends!           :rolleyes:

• The topic was locked