Light-O-Rama Forums

Burying lines underground

Klayfish

Yep, the cotton ball and string with a whop vac works well with a couple possible issues. The conduit needs to be empty (or at least VERY close to it). It also needs to be dry. However the shop vac works well for the drying too. Just attach the shop vac hose to one end of the conduit and let it run for a while. Unless the vac is very close to the low point in the conduit, you will likely not actually suck much liquid water out of the conduit, but the airflow will cause the water to evaporate and the moister air will get pulled out. This obviously works best on a fairly dry day.

And I agree with Plasma that you WILL end up with water in the conduit. Even a conduit that goes between 2 completely dry locations (like inside the house to inside the garage) will still manage to get water in it.

I have screw on caps at both ends of the PVC pipe where they come to the surface on either side of the sidewalk.  Water does get in from time to time, so before each season, I do use the shop-vac to blow out any water.

Have to point out that Liberty-laser has a good suggestion with using the shop vac to blow out the conduit. The blower seems to warm up the air and warm air does a better job of drying out things. Although most show vacs have a blowing port, but not all.

Plasma where did you find the gel filled? I ordered a 100' cat 5e cable from monoprice $9 to pull next week to the shop.

google    Cat5e, 350 Mhz, UTP, Gel Filled (Flooded Core)

Several suppliers sell it.. it ain't cheap.. but it is worth it if you plan on leaving it in the conduit all the time.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Love the Shop Vac idea.  I've got a nice one with a strong blower port, so I'll definitely use it. 

Yes, I had thought about running cables throughout the inside of the house, as I've had a lot of people suggest it.  But I'm not much of a tech guy, so I don't honestly know what the cat5 cable would be used for inside the house.

k6ccc, thanks for sending your info.  Sorry I didn't get to reach out to you.  My weekends are often as crazy, or more crazy, than my weekdays.  I don't think I sat down for 10 minutes all weekend.  Between the kids football/cheerleading stuff, housework, etc...it was busy. 

When we build our new home, I will certainly have the builder bury some Outlets throughout the yard. All I will do is tell him where I want them and let him worry about getting the right wire and outlets