Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree 8' Build

mpha9c

This is a site where I got most of my planning it is very detailed and informative. A good rule of thumb for the base of the tree is that the base should be half the size of the tree.  So an 8 foot tree would have a 4 foot base. Just experiment for your display for the correct size and have fun. 

http://www.landolights.com/main/content/view/80/39/

I too took my original design and components from Daryl...at CLS...for an 8 foot tree though, you really don't need much beyond a PVC pole and a topper, you can run the lights to the ground with tent pegs or similar. My first year was 10 footer, which this is the way I did it, no guy wires, etc...when I jumped to the 20 foot model, the base, and hand wench, guy wires, larger spiral stakes for the guy wires were a necessity, not to mention using a metal middle pole.

My suggestion is to use a 10' treated 4x4 and sink it two feet into the ground.  There will be no need for any kind of guy wires, and you have a wooden center "pole" for attaching the lights any way you wish,

My suggestion is to use a 10' treated 4x4 and sink it two feet into the ground.  There will be no need for any kind of guy wires, and you have a wooden center "pole" for attaching the lights any way you wish,

OR you can just stand there at night, with your right arm up as high as you can...and hold the female ends of the strings...Minnesota wit...just slays me!

• Like 1

PVC pole for any kind of mega tree. Just aint right!! Really, I have heard of both good things and bad things about the PVC pole working just fine all season. But then too, I have heard and seen photos of the pole snapping from the cold and wind. Even though your only going up 8 feet. I would use only a metal pole. Now my pole is only 17' above ground. I am using 1.5" galvanize pipe with a topper that has 4 guy wires. And at the joint between 10' and 7' is a pin that goes several inches to both sides. weakest point at joints is where the threads are cut into the pipe. So, 20' or less needs no guys at the joint if you use the pin versus a coupler.

Skimp and down comes the tree. As a few here and they can tell you their horror stories. Calling Jim, say calling Jim.  :P Jim is my hero. Learned more from his failures than anyone else. ;)

Wow!!!! A pair of Paul Lynde's. I can't figure out who has the  sharpest wit Mr. George or Mr. Max. I have to keep coming back and re- read your comments. I get a good laugh. I would love to see you both at a party, as long as I'm not in the line of fire. :lol:

Thanks guys for the input... My wife is wanting the mega tree and I might go with one of the links for the 8' Megatree Kit.. Since its my first year and i have already spent more money then i planned on. I can't wait to see what the outcome is for both holidays.. Halloween and Christmas..

I use 1 inch conduit. I had a piece flared at one end to slide over the 1 inch piece I leave in the ground. I use a 1 inch Pvc cap with hooks to attach the lights. Works very well. Takes 30 minutes to put up