Light-O-Rama Forums

Waterproofing

shivna2001

I am in the process of rebuilding my singing alien head display (the first one i built ended up being way too heavy).  I'm using pegboard on this one and have been looking around for a good waterproofing solution to help it last a bit longer.  Anybody find anything good?

for the peg board? i did this last year, after drilling the holes a little bigger to fit the lights i sprayed the board with Thomson water seal. seemed to work, it lasted a month for the show and i still have the board. im changing it from a pumpkin to a skull this year. any question just pm me and ill help the best i can.

happy lighting

DS

You may want to consider some of the new composite material pegboard.  It appears to be a plastic.  Very water resistant.   They have it at most home box stores. 

My local Lowes did not have the plastic pegboard, though i did look for it and hope to try it in the future.  I've seen the thompson water seal and think i'll give that a try.  I'm in the process of drilling out my holes a big bigger, once that's done i can waterproof it and add the lights :)

• Like 1

So, did you try the hardware cloth or some form of wire mesh that holds its shape? Peg board in my mind is not all that light either. Just my two cents. I'll go back into my corner..

Sorry you couldn't find it.  It's pretty good stuff.      Here's a link so you can at least see what I was talking about.    Unfortunately, this link has the board, all the hooks, bins, a 54pc mounting kit, etc.   I was able to buy it a while back in plain old 4'x4' sheets without all the extra hardware at a much more reasonable price.  

http://www.lowes.com/pd_563796-33547-990_0__?productId=50110776&Ntt=pegboard&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dpegboard&facetInfo=

I checked with my local store, and they said the sheets without all the additional hardware were still in their system.      It's an idea for you anway.   Good Luck and let us know how it comes out.  

I'm using string lights for my singing face, so the lights go into the holes.  Fit's pretty snug too.  I used a thick particle board on my first one and it was really heavy.  The pegboard so far is alot easier to move around and i'd imagine the lights can't add too much weight to it.  I'll be sure to post a pic/video when i finish it

What's the largest size u can get of coroplast and where can u get it?  I believe i'd like to try that on my next face.  

I buy it in 4 foot by 8 foot pieces, standard plywood sheet size. I pick mine up at the local sign shop.

What's the largest size u can get of coroplast and where can u get it?  I believe i'd like to try that on my next face.  

Home Depot:   Prices range depending on size.

You can see some of what they offer here: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Plastic-Sheets/N-5yc1vZbrdg/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-coroplast?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

Some are available in store, others can be shipped to home or to store.

Edited by Orville