Light-O-Rama Forums

Another pex question

Steelers95

Alright I bought the 100ft roll of pex and have four 13ft sections cut out for my arches. For the most part I can get them to straighten out enough to make arches when I put them into the ground. My question is what should I use to get the pex into better arch formation. Do I need to attach it to something like conduit? 

What I did was I used 1/2" PVC, then 2 elbows on the ends, then I cut 1/2" emt for between the 2, size is determined by your eye of what looks right, then I zip tied the pex to the frame and drilled and inserted ccps

I'm using 1" PEX and attaching the 10' sections to a chain link fence with 8 inch white zip ties.

Edited by George Simmons

I'm using 1" PEX and attaching the 10' sections a chain link fence with 8' white zip ties.

Where does one get 8 ft ties?  :P

Ron, How many light strands does that Arch Stand use?   And did you wrap the lights around the frame or just zip tie them to one side of it?

Looks like a nice way to make Arches quick and easy, but was wondering since the site doesn't say how many strands of lights are needed, how many you used, type and count as well as how you put them on that Arch frame?

Thanks!

Edited by Orville

http://store.winterlandinc.com/WL-LA-NL-05--5-Leaping-Arch-Frame-with-No-lights_p_17462.html

This is what I used last year.

Ron, How many light strands does that Arch Stand use?   And did you wrap the lights around the frame or just zip tie them to one side of it?

Looks like a nice way to make Arches quick and easy, but was wondering since the site doesn't say how many strands of lights are needed, how many you used, type and count as well as how you put them on that Arch frame?

Thanks!

Those are just a metal frame he used to have the arch shape, he zip tied 1" pex to it in the arch shape and then drilled and installed pixels in the pex

Those are just a metal frame he used to have the arch shape, he zip tied 1" pex to it in the arch shape and then drilled and installed pixels in the pex
this is exactly the way I did it. No more incandescent or regular LEDs for me anymore. My entire display is and will continue to be some form of RGB, be it pixels or basic nodes. Edited by Ron Boyd

this is exactly the way I did it. No more incandescent or regular LEDs for me anymore. My entire display is and will continue to be some form of RGB, be it pixels or basic nodes.

I'm not using pixels or RGB, just standard LED or Incandescent strands.   So now I wonder if anyone has tied the "basic" light strands to one of these?  And how well did it work?

I'm a LONG way off from going pixels or any RGB stuff, if ever.

Seems like someone folded the LED strings back and forth to put them all in front. That would work great on these. I think it was Earle W. Talley. I apologize if I spelled the name wrong. Anyway, all of his lights were facing the front and negated the need for multiple strings per section. I'll see if I can find the post about them and post a link.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/27604-easy-arches/?p=259879

Found it.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Seems like someone folded the LED strings back and forth to put them all in front. That would work great on these. I think it was Earle W. Talley. I apologize if I spelled the name wrong. Anyway, all of his lights were facing the front and negated the need for multiple strings per section. I'll see if I can find the post about them and post a link.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/27604-easy-arches/?p=259879

Found it.

Thanks Ron, dang, forgot about Earl's method and I actually read and posted in that thread last year. :o 

I think the reason I was looking at the "metal framed arch" in the url posted earlier is, I want something I don't have to bend or unbend to take down.  Something I can just put in the ground, maybe add some stakes to keep it secure and in place, then just leave it alone until take down, then remove and store for the next year.

May have to buy 2 or 3 and just see how and what I can do with them.   If they won't do what I need, I'm sure I can think of something else to use them for! :lol:  

The frames actually come with stakes. They're metal also. I love mine. Although I won't be using them this year, I already have plans for 2015.

The frames actually come with stakes. They're metal also. I love mine. Although I won't be using them this year, I already have plans for 2015.

I figured those two long shepard hooks in the photo were stakes for holding it in place.  But sometimes I just like to add a couple more to keep something a little more secure.  

Now to have a talk with the wife and see if she'll let me buy a few of those.  I've been using Holiday Coro's "baby Sidewalk Arches" and actually still have a few unused ones.  Bought them back in 2011 I think, they no longer sell them,  I framed 3 of the 4 Halloween ones, but I'm not using them this year.  Have 4 with orange incans for Halloween {painted black} and 4 original color {grayish white} with clear incans for Christmas.  

But the Christmas ones haven't been framed, did that last year for the Halloween ones, worked okay, but want something a tad larger and more attention getting.   Although my neighbors love the baby sidewalk coro arches, I want something much bigger! LOL