Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB power supply

rednosetbird

Hi all, I hope everyones summer is going good. I need some help with a power supply or supplies. I have a 24 ch CMB24  not sure on what to get for it. It seems like the one from LOR is under powered. I will be using all 8 dumb strips. Another dumb question.....haha...can I run more than 1 dumb strip on a channel? I have purched the dumb strips from LOR.

So,

Actually the way those work is 3 channels per strip... 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue.. and all 3 on is white.

You can use up to 2 5 meter lengths of these without having to power inject on the back end of the strip. After that Power injection is required as the lamps on string 3 will not be very bright or responsive.

You might want to look at the "Dumb Strip" controllers. I've used DMX for those as it is less expensive. But watch the wattage with those as they do add up quickly.:)

Kip

Hi all, I hope everyones summer is going good. I need some help with a power supply or supplies. I have a 24 ch CMB24  not sure on what to get for it. It seems like the one from LOR is under powered. I will be using all 8 dumb strips. Another dumb question.....haha...can I run more than 1 dumb strip on a channel? I have purched the dumb strips from LOR.

It would be counter productive for LOR to sell a DC power supply that wouldn't support the products they have in their store.

Note the text on the 8 pack strip and 10 watt flood. The 8 pack strips need a minimum of 200watt, and the 8 pack floods a minimum of 100watt. Thus the power supply that LOR sells would meet these requirements.

If you are going to connect more than 8 strips/floods to the device, make sure you have a 12VDC power supply that has enough wattage to handle the load.

If you are going to connect more than 8 strips/floods to the device, make sure you have a 12VDC power supply that has enough wattage to handle the load.

You can also connect a second power supply. That may be easier than finding a single one with double the power.

I have hooked up to three Dumb Strips at once.  I just hook them up in parallel and not series.  In series, end to end, you tend to run into power problems the longer the run.