Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't show non-modal form when modal form is displayed

jasonb5449

Need some help here.  When I attempt to open the sequence editor it immediately freezes up and eventually I get this message.  I can not do anything once I open the sequencer, I can not minimize, close nothing.  I have to do a cntl+alt+delete to get out of it.  Now if I go to my file folder with all my sequences, I can open those up just fine.  BUT if I click on the New icon, it freezes up again and get this same message.

Is there a remedy? 

non_modal.jpg

I seem to recall that happened to me some time back.  

I think the only remedy I can recall doing was having to re-install the software because I think something got corrupted along the way.

I'm sure if there is another option other than re-installing, someone here will give you that insight.   But I do recall having to do a complete re-install of the LOR software at the time it happened to me.

Check to see if your LOR start-up screen - which gives you the options of choosing recent, existing, or new sequence is still open.  If that screen is displayed and you try to open a sequence from the file manager or something like that you'll see the error message you received.

Wow, I never realized that before, but George is 100% correct, if the LOR sequence pop up window is still open where you load new, existing, or recent sequences and you try to load a sequence, like using Windows Explorer on an open folder containing sequences elsewhere, or even downloading one and then trying to open it from the download area, will all cause this error.

Dang, seems I re-installed my LOR software for no reason when I encountered this issue some time ago.

Thanks George, I'm saving this info for the next time I see that error message.  Learned something I didn't know about the SE.

NOTE: I did not ask on the forums about this issue when I had it, I just figured something must have gotten corrupted with one or more of the LOR files somewhere.  This would've saved me a lot of time NOT having to back up all my sequences and audio files to do a complete re-install, if I'd only known it was a simple error in trying to load files while the SE load window was still open.

Edited by Orville

Wow, I never realized that before, but George is 100% correct ...

And just how many years has it taken you to come to that realization???

Check to see if your LOR start-up screen - which gives you the options of choosing recent, existing, or new sequence is still open.  If that screen is displayed and you try to open a sequence from the file manager or something like that you'll see the error message you received.

Nada.  I've shut down completely, restarted and get the same thing.

This is what happens:

Start up the computer

Open Sequence Editor

It goes immediately to the editor screen above (minus the error) and I never get the start up window.

Nothing is clickable, can't even minimize or close.  Program is frozen and the only way to get out is to end program from task manager.

If the program is open and I go try to open a sequence, I get the error message above.

Now, if I don't open the sequence editor, and I just open a saved sequence, it opens fine.  However, as soon as I try to click New/Open/Close/Save, it freezes up again.

It's like it wants me to do something on a new window but it's not there, not in my task bar, nor shows up in the task manager.

The only thing I have done differently was I added a 33rd channel because I was messing the the beat wizzard.  Could that have anything to do with it?

I've added The only time I've ever seen that error message is as described above.

Looks like you need the services of a LOR software guru.

I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

Once I started thinking about how it wants me to do something on a screen that's not there it dawned on me.  This was on my laptop.  The previous time I was working on the sequence I had it hooked to a second monitor.  So I hooked it back to the monitor and sure enough, there is the sequence editor window sitting there.  Dragged it back over to the laptop screen, unhooked the monitor and all is well!

Two things that I don't understand is (1) why when I unplugged the monitor the last time, why did it not pull that window over to the laptop screen and (2) how was I able to open the sequence editor two days later and work on the sequence without having to go throw the start up window (open new/existing sequence)

Oh well, glad I figured it out.  I was FREAKING OUT MAN!

When you click on a sequence file from a file management program, if the SE isn't already open it opens and loads the sequence with no further input needed.

If you simply open the SE, the selection screen will appear.

And just how many years has it taken you to come to that realization???

Aw c'mon George, I've agreed with you on a lot of things over the years.  

Sometimes the obvious is overlooked, but this didn't have an "obvious outlook",  since we didn't know about the 2nd monitor issue, I don't think any of us here even thought about something like that.   Although I should have remembered this myself since I had used multiple monitors before, but had forgotten about it, as I don't use multiple monitors for the reason that happened to Jason here.

You'd think that Windows *would* be smart enough to pull those windows back over to the single monitor when you disable or remove the other monitor, but it doesn't!    Something else to keep in the record books for another time.