Light-O-Rama Forums

encoded sequences

LENNY RUEL

Why all of a sudden when I try to download a sequence, if I can even get it to open it's encoded?  Used to pull right up on my sequence editor and then it would just be a matter of adding in the music and playing it.  I can't even get Dean Tauntons Believe in Holiday Magic to open from the free files above.  I keep getting the wait or kill pages pop up.  After a few rounds of this I tried the Christmas Vacation one.  I got the pop up once, picked wait, and a little while later it opened encoded......................

Thanks

Lenny

Why all of a sudden when I try to download a sequence, if I can even get it to open it's encoded?  Used to pull right up on my sequence editor and then it would just be a matter of adding in the music and playing it.  I can't even get Dean Tauntons Believe in Holiday Magic to open from the free files above.  I keep getting the wait or kill pages pop up.  After a few rounds of this I tried the Christmas Vacation one.  I got the pop up once, picked wait, and a little while later it opened encoded......................

Thanks

Lenny

Where are you downloading sequences from that show up encoded?

If by some chance you purchased a "ready to go" sequence from Light-O-Rama, then the sequence is protected, and you can't edit it.

Don: From the free sequence files right here on the forums.  Been trying a couple of Dean Tauntons  (Tauntons Tales)  Also Matt Smith sent me one a few days back and it opened encoded as well.  Used to just have the LOR Bulb on my task bar flash a couple times and the sequence would be on the Sequence editor when it came on screen.  Now they don't do that and are encoded on the screen that does pull up.

Lenny

Don't know if I have an answer for that one.

Probably something with regards to your computer, but always a chance something going on with the sequences you are trying to download.

If it's a protected sequence it will say "protected" somewhere in the sequence name.

Even if someone changed the name, the sequence editor will also tell you the sequence is protected. You'll be able to play it, and even run it in a show, but you can't modify any of the sequencing.

Lenny, try downloading one of my Halloween sequences from this area:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=7D6D47DFA1C635AE&id=7D6D47DFA1C635AE%213178

I know I have never encoded a sequence, so you should be able to download and open them without error.  If you get that the sequence is encoded, the only other thing I could think of would be your license level doesn't support something in the sequence?  

I'm just speculating on what could be happening as I've never had any issues with downloading folks sequences from the forum here or ones sent to me via e-mail.    

So this is something that is definitely out of the ordinary for the Sequence Editor.

BTW: Lenny, if you would send me the sequences you're attempting to open, I'll check and see what happens and report back if they are encoded or if there may be something else creating the issue on your computer.  You can send them to me via: lightman13@hotmail.com  Just trying to help you get to the root of why they aren't opening where you can do anything with them.

~Orville~

Orville: I'll try this out soon as I can and get you a sequence that pulls in on my computer encode.  I actually un-installed LOR last night and did a windows update as the last one it showed was from Jan 7th, the day after I took the computer off line from running the show  for last season.  I didn't have time to install LOR again last night and I golf tonight so depending on when I get home.......

I don't have LOR here at work on my computer but if I download a sequence it is coded here as would be expected.  In fact I used to do this a few years back when I used a few channels here and there to help fill in my sequencing.  It was easy to log a sequences channel assignments and colors so I could match some up to my stuff, on paper at least ahead of time.  When I would get home then it was quicker to cut and paste when I had a map already drawn out with what I wanted to use or at least look at..........But that is why what is going on at home with the laptop I sequence on is so weird.  Always had sequences just open right up on my sequence editor.  Even if the SE bulb was just in the task tray along the bottom of the screen, it would open right up.  I've tried leaving the sequence editor screen up and it still just comes up with the encoded files.  Seq Editor stays blank...........

Lenny

Lenny,

Could you clarify what you mean by "encoded".  That's not a word I've ever heard used relating to sequences prior to this thread.

When a protected file is opened, the sequence editor will be blank - you'll not be able to change or even see the sequencing, and there should be a box in the middle of your screen that tells you it's a protected sequence.

If that's what you're seeing, it doesn't matter whose computer is used.  No one, including the person who originally exported the sequence as a protected file, can open it up again to make changes.  You can change media files, change channel assignments, and that's about it.  The sequence will play just fine, either in the SE or the Show Player, but it is what it is.

George, I think the term I've seen is Codex? or codem maybe?  It show the channels in all of the elements used in the sequences configuration, says the color for each, and then it will read something like on 100% for so many centiseconds, etc.

Lenny

Edited by LENNY RUEL

This is what I mean by coded..............

attachicon.gifUntitled 1.doc

Lenny

Right Click -> Save As

This will save the file to your computer, versus opening it in your browser.

Edited by Don

Orville, I tried your Munsters theme and it's coded as well............

Lenny

None of my sequences have ever been saved using the "protected" mode, and I've never had anything ever tell me a sequence was coded or encoded.   Tried downloading you doc file, but my version of word couldn't open it.

All my sequences are saved straight out of the SE, so they should work with any version of the SE 3.8.2 or higher, since 3.8.2 is the highest version I am using at the moment.

So I'm not sure what the coded issue here is.

EDIT: When you download the sequence, is it being saved as what it's named from the area you're downloading it, i.e. when you downloaded my munsters sequence was the extension .lms or something else?  

As someone stated above, it may be in the way you're downloading the sequences, and the SE is not really recognizing it for what it is, it's seeing something that makes it think the sequence is something other than what it is, especially if the extension is something other than .lms.

Edited by Orville

Would any of this have anything to do with the license?  Would I need to pay with the new install of 3.10.14?  I had 3.5.0 and things where acting funny of maleware updates etc, which is why I uninstalled it.  When I did the 3.10.14 download it never asked for the license key.  Once I installed it and opened the Sequence Editor I went to help and registered the License Key as it asked.  Reason I ask is when I emailed the help desk a few days ago to ask their thoughts I was told I could go 3.10.14, but in the same e-mail they also listed options. I actually pasted the e-mail here................ 

A Light-O-Rama help desk staff member has replied to your request, #924845 with the following response: 

Look at the bottom of the software page.  There you will find a link to download 3.10.14.

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-dow...

There are several options to move to newer versions of our software. Those options depended on your budget, what your current license level is, if you want to move to a new level, or if you want an add-on. 

Option 1: 
If you have any license level other than Advanced and want to increase your level (Say from Basic+ to Standard) you can purchase an UPGRADE. The upgrade not only increases your software level, but also entitles you to updates for 1 year. If you have Basic or Basic+, this is the best value for the money: An upgrade to Basic+ from Basic is $20, while an upgrade from Basic+ to Standard is $30. 
http://store.lightorama.com/s2soup.html 

Option 2: 
If you have Advanced, or want to stay at the level you are currently at, purchase a license RENEWAL for $29.95. That will allow you to use any future updates for 1 year. 
http://store.lightorama.com/solire.html 

Option 3: 
You can purchase the SuperStar add-on, starting at $49.95. When you purchase a superstar add on, you are also given a complimentary license renewal (the same one you would get if you purchased option 2 above). 
http://store.lightorama.com/suse.html 

Remember: Your software is good for life and does NOT expire. Only your ability to go to newer versions requires a license renewal or upgrade. 

We hope this has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, please login to your account at the address below for a complete archive of all your help desk requests and responses. 

[Removed]

(Note: The URL should be one line. If your email program splits the URL into two lines, you will need to copy both of them into your browser.) 

Lenny

BTW.....Orville, it showed as an LMS, which any of the sequences I've been trying to open are showing as.

Would any of this have anything to do with the license?  Would I need to pay with the new install of 3.10.14?  I had 3.5.0 and things where acting funny of maleware updates etc, which is why I uninstalled it.  When I did the 3.10.14 download it never asked for the license key.  Once I installed it and opened the Sequence Editor I went to help and registered the License Key as it asked.  Reason I ask is when I emailed the help desk a few days ago to ask their thoughts I was told I could go 3.10.14, but in the same e-mail they also listed options. I actually pasted the e-mail here................ 

Lenny,

A few things.

1) The problem you are having, sequences showing up as text in the browser when you try to download them, has nothing to do with the license. It has everything to do with your local computer. When you click a link in a web browser something happens based on what the link is. I think we can all agree that when you click a link to a URL, you are taken to that URL. However, a link containing a download is different. The extension of the file (.LMS) is noted in some handlers within the browser. Based on what those handlers say, again for your specific machine, the sequences are showing in the browser. If you were to "Right Click -> Save As" you would be given the option to save the file to your computer. You can then open it up via the Sequence Editor.

2) The links you listed are part of the help desk system. The information is given to you in case you need it in the future.

I would suggest checking your current license status, and see if you can run the latest version of the software. 

To check your license status: http://www.lightorama.com/LicenseRetrieval.html

Please understand ... These are two answers to two different types of problems. Your inability to download the sequence has nothing to do with your current software license or status.

Don:

I already did that and that was where I found out I could go to 3.10.14.  

As for the downloads............When i click on the links they go into my documents files.  We have 7ZIP installed so even if they come zipped they get opened up as an LMS in that documents file automatically.  It used to be that all I ever had to do was double click on that file and it would open up the sequence on my sequence editor screen, which isn't happening any longer.  What you are telling me is to open my Sequence Editor first, go to file icon, and find the LMS in the Documents and it should open when I click on it, or actually I think I have to click on it to hilight it, and then click on the open box at the bottom of the window? Correct?

Thanks by the way for the feed back.  I'll have to try that tonight when I'm home...............I'm guessing with doing pretty much my own thing the last few years I must have forgot the paths to pulling up other sequences from people..

Lenny

Don:

I already did that and that was where I found out I could go to 3.10.14.  

As for the downloads............When i click on the links they go into my documents files.  We have 7ZIP installed so even if they come zipped they get opened up as an LMS in that documents file automatically.  It used to be that all I ever had to do was double click on that file and it would open up the sequence on my sequence editor screen, which isn't happening any longer.  What you are telling me is to open my Sequence Editor first, go to file icon, and find the LMS in the Documents and it should open when I click on it, or actually I think I have to click on it to hilight it, and then click on the open box at the bottom of the window? Correct?

Thanks by the way for the feed back.  I'll have to try that tonight when I'm home...............I'm guessing with doing pretty much my own thing the last few years I must have forgot the paths to pulling up other sequences from people..

Lenny

Lenny, if it's an actual .lms file, it does not matter what folder it's in, if the .lms file IS linked to the SE by default in Windows{which it should be}, it should open correctly in the SE.   If not, that's a strange issue, because I can open an .lms file from ANYWHERE on my computer, any folder, any additional hard drives, flash drives, SD Cards, etc.  Doesn't matter as long as the SE can recognize the .lms file as a bonafide sequence that was created in the SE.

Also when opening files in the pop up window in SE, all you have to do is double click the file to open it, going to the "open" box is actually unnecessary.  

When I open sequences from within the SE I use the open folder icon that takes me to my default folder, click on the folder where the sequence is I want to load, that opens and displays my sequences, then I double click the sequence and the SE opens it up so I can work on it.

When I create new sequences I click on the icon that looks like a white piece of paper, browse to the MP3 I want to use and start sequencing the music.

So I'm really baffled on why your SE is not opening .lms files when you double click on them, as that is how it should be working.

Don't recall but have you tried re-installing the LOR software, sometimes that's the only way to correct a strange issue like the one you're having.  If you've done that, you may need to use the registry wipe tool, I don't know the link to the file, but it's available from the LOR website, run that to clear out everything LOR and re-install.   Make sure you back up all your sequence and music files somewhere so they don't get deleted, just in case, then copy them back to your LOR default folders where they need to go.  Hopefully that will resolve this baffling issue you're having.

Good Luck!

Orville:

Everything seems to work as you describe except opening an lms file from anyplace on my computer.  Have no problem starting a new sequence with an MP3 or anything.  Now, I tried opening the files that have been coming up coded from the Sequence Editor and that works.  If I go to the file and double click on them they still pull up in code.  I have to open the SE and go to the documents file the lms is in and open it and it pulls up fine.  One think I noticed about LOR 3.10.14 that wasn't there with 3.5.0 so far is when I bring in the media file, it analizes it.  There is a loading bar that pops up in the middle of the page and scan across twice.

Lenny

just to throw my two cents in. This happened to me a few weeks back. I checked to make sure my license was good and that the software was up to date. All of that stuff was kosher. I backed up all of my sequences onto a thumb drive and then un-installed LOR. Turned off the computer for a couple mins, turned it back on and reinstalled it. I was then able to open all my lms files again.