Light-O-Rama Forums

Tips on adding RGB to show

shivna2001

Sorry if this has been asked before, i tried to do a search and it kept coming up with nothing.  I'm interested in adding some RGB ribbon lights to my light o rama show (probably next year) and while i've read up on what the website has, i was curious as to the basics of how it works.  Can i buy the lights elsewhere and they will still hook up to the CMB24 RGB controller and work?  I've found 16ft of ribbon lights on amazon for around 15$ each at the cheapest.  Can anyone direct me here or have a good website with a tutorial a newbie can understand?  Will i need to upgrade from my basic LOR software to incorporate RGB into my sequences?  Thanks in advance :)

I currently run my RBG Strips (bought from china and Ebay) on the LOR CMB24 with no issues. I run 8 strips from the controller, each strip uses 3 of the channels (1-R 2-G 3-B) so you can get 8 strips per controller. I'm pretty sure the basic will run the CMB24 controller with the card.

I would go over to the AusChristmasLighting site.

Start with this presentation linked here:

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1211.0.html

You need to get an understanding of DMX, then E1.31. In that presentation on pg 24 is a link to the ACL 101 Lighting manual. One of the best starting resources available.

Are you wanting to do just colors (R-G-B/Dumb) or are you wanting to control individual pixels (DMX/E1.31/smart) for R-G-B?

As far as what software you need? If you go dumb, you do not need an Advanced license. If you decide to do smart, then you will need an Advanced LOR license.

This will get you started.

I think i might stick with the dumb RGB lights for a while.  get those mastered before i attempt pixels.

I dont have to use DMX do I?  I currently am only using light o rama stuff.

Thanks for the tips :)

Edited by shivna2001

A wealth of info here, http://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp

Specifically the videos here: 

http://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp?ID=15

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/tutorials.htm Even more good resources here for DMX.

These plus the Ones from AusChristmaslighting mentioned above, should give you all the info you need. 

Edited by Ron Boyd

If you use the LOR CMB24 DC-card, you'll need a 12 volt power supply for it, which also powers the RGB strip lights. The nice thing is that it connects directly to the LOR network just like any of the normal AC controllers. So yes, you'll be able to run Dumb Strips with it. Now you can only run 8 strips of a nominal length, but with those 8, you can do a lot. Remember, you can't chase the indvidual lights on each strip...just control each strip as a whole. Each strip can be any color too.

Oops. Apparently, after reading your last post again, you're not wanting to use DMX. The CMB24 is like a normal LOR controller with the option to run it in DMX. So, no, you do not have to use DMX. But, it's still some good reading for the future if you decide to do DMX.

3rd party RGB strips will work with the CMB24. I would recommended upgrading to the advanced version of the software. you want all the bells a whistles when you start moving into RGB. Don't forget to check what voltage the strips use that you are looking to buy on line. i remember reading in another forum that there are 12 and 5 volt strips. I use 12 volt strips with the CMB24 and power supply kit that I bought from Kevin at http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/. 

Here is my set up only using LOR controllers and adapters:

4-CTB16PC 16-Channel Controller

2 cosmic color Ribbons

4 100 count cosmic color pixels

1 CMB24 controlling 12 RGB strips  (8 total RGB channels)

All are run using LOR software with 2 networks using one standard USB-RS485 and one USB-RS485 Adapter with Booster. 

There is no need to use any other adapter unless you start using 3 party DMX controllers then you enter a world that I know nothing about. The E1.31 and Dongles are outside my vocabulary. (For Now) Ha Ha. 

you are going about this in the right direction giving yourself plenty of time to learn how it all works. Good luck and have fun with it.

Kenny 

Don't be intimidated by e1.31 and DMX protocol.  They can be used very easily with LOR controllers.  I made the dive into pixels this year after using a mix of DMX and regular LOR AC controllers last year.  The biggest issue is figuring out WHAT you need.  Once you know that, the rest is cake.

• Like 1

I too am using CMB24 and 8 dumb RGB led strips. Even though the entire strip can be only one color at a time, you get an infinite choice of colors and with some fancy programming and fading, these look really nice.

Another .02 cents here. It's suggested to use IP67 or IP68 rated strips.

Not following my own advise, I used IP65 last year. Time will tell how well they hold up.

Steve