Light-O-Rama Forums

Are Wow Light packages worth it?

wensteve

I have zero Light O Rama items but I have the dream of one day having my house be seen from space lol.  I have been shopping around for lights and have even waited for the summer sale before purchasing and now that I see the sale (which is alright but not as much savings as I was expecting.)

My question is: Is the Wow light Packages worth the money?  I am thinking of buying this: http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=19&Product=390

I was thinking that this package is a good for me as I'm so new to all this. We could add on to it if we have time this year and buy more each year going forward.  Is it worth the money or is there a better option?  We really like the "plug n play" that this option gives us and hope that we will get it and really learn quickly from having it.  We might buy the package without the controllers and then order them from Light O Rama since they are on sale.

Thanks!

I have the same set up, but I pieced and parted it. I would say that I spent more by buy things separately. The singing pumpkins are a big ticket item. It would be basically plug and play.

It's a little steep if you are a good Do it yourselfer, but with the package you don't have to spend all the time and effort to get it all together and so on.  Their time to do this is worth some $$.

Edited by plasmadrive

I purchased that same package last year in September when I first heard about Light-O-Rama products.  Given that it was so late in the year and I had little time to figure anything out that package worked great and gives a good result.  For Christmas I again used one of the WOW set-ups and again it was great.  Now that I have had a year to experiment with the LOR products I am doing more for Halloween and especially Christmas with things I built upon.  Time for me is a premium, so spending more $$ to get what I wanted was worth it.

I've got the smaller singing set from Wow used and it's good.  I did buy the large singing pumkin from http://www.holidaycoro.com/Singing-Pumpkin-p/17.htm

They also have a good selection.  Big thing on that route is it's piece meal; pumpkin from them, lights from Walmart clearance, LOR controller from LOR, sequences from a lot pf places, ect.  More effort on your part but less them making them yourself.

Jim

I started with the WOW 16 - Christmas package. Wanted to make sure I would like and understand all the sequencing involved before I spent too much. That was 4 years ago....now I have 8 controllers and tons of props. I won't have any retirement money left, but at least I'll have fun in the mean time.

MikeH

• Like 1

I would recommend the plug and play options this late in the season if you can afford it, especially if your just starting out now, This will be my first year with a Halloween and Christmas show but I started the process in February and still fear I wont have everything done that I want.

:o

I bought a small Wowlights setup from a third party. I had NO experience at all with animated lighting . I started in late Jan and it has helped me understand how it all works. I'm now up to 15 controllers, all 30 songs sequenced by me and ready to go! I've even got into RGB and I haven't put up my first display yet! Cannot wait to see it all lighted! Built all my arches, mini trees, bursting stars etc. and it sure helps to see how it works with Wowlights!

I started 2 years ago with a WowLights Christmas package. Love it, love them. Just downloaded more of their sequences for this year's show. Had to upgrade some as I bought another controller during the current LOR summer sale. They are great that they keep up with your downloaded sequences. I didn't have to re-purchase the ones I'm keeping in this year's show, just paid the upgrade price. WowLights is a very good way to get everything you need to get started. Have fun with it.

I have purchased wowlights sequences in the past and they are very good.  As for the whole package, you could save some money by doing some of it DIY and purchasing the sequences separately. Or possibly getting them for free through forums.

my first controllers were from WOW, I an attest to their A+ service. That goes along way for me

Edited by sticks4legs
  • Like 1

I purchased my first controller with WOW in 2007, If I was new to this "hobby" these are the people I'd to go with, everything you get in the WOW package is well thought out and it will have everything I need, the only thing you need to think about is your sound system, I noticed the package doesn't come with sound, so look into either speakers or a FCC legal FM modulator

Edited by PMC

I started with the WOW 16 - Christmas package. Wanted to make sure I would like and understand all the sequencing involved before I spent too much. That was 4 years ago....now I have 8 controllers and tons of props. I won't have any retirement money left, but at least I'll have fun in the mean time.

MikeH

I too as Mike did started with the 16 channel package from Wowlights 4 years ago. but that was after I purchased the advanced software 5 years ago. I spent a year playing around with the software before I dove in. Now I am almost completely CCP/RGB. I still use that origanal 16 channel controller for 2 of my 4 singing pumpkins/Christmas trees. I would suggest If the price is not too steep for your budget you would be best off to get it this late in the season. It's just plug and play pretty much. But be warned, you are about to start down a path of no return. You will be singing Christmas songs in February. Halloween songs in January and theres nothing you can do about it. You will be hooked and that's not a bad thing. just saying.

Kenny

WOW Lights was my first go to company last year since they were close by.  I started with 32 Channels, a singing Santa, Mega Tree, lighted candy canes that I substituted for the 10 small Christmas trees and ten WOW music sequences.  That got me hooked into this addictive hobby!

This year I've grown to 144 channels, made my own props and music sequences.  You can save money by making your own props and watching for sales.  WOW Lights is a good starting point since they have various levels of display props bundled with controllers and almost everything (minus extension cords and audio systems) you need to start your first show.  

• 2 weeks later...

NEWB here with this being my first year trying it. Bought everything for 48 channels and Showtime Central during the LOR sale in August. One thing that I can say about WOW is that after seeing their Sequences, I'm setting aside the LOR layout and sequences and going with the WOW layout and Sequences. BIG difference!

• 2 months later...

I purchased one CTB16PC on sale from Wow and was pleased with the process. Generally they seem at least a little on the high side for me.  

As for controllers that is the only residential controller I will buy as I have decided that I will only purchase LOR1602s in the future (I added one last week). I like the ruggedness and other features that the 1602 has like support for 3 phase A/C that gives me options on how to use the controllers in the future. 

I personally do not like WOW sequences, The are so busy and to me sometimes less is more. I like the 4/4 layout of LOR and think it works best for me.  I have a couple of LOR sequences and I am very happy with them.  I have learned a lot about sequencing from them. 

If you haven't added arches to your display, you really need to consider doing so. I added 2 10' arches this past week and the show went live last night. EVERYONE was very complimentary and lots of "OH! WOW! That's so cool!".

I would consider buying completed arches if anyone were selling them. It took a lot longer to make them than I thought. Others had commented that it would take about an hour to hour and a half to wrap them.... I must be deficient in my wrapping skills.