Light-O-Rama Forums

Opinion/Sourcing a Bulb with Intermediate Base

jasonb5449

I need some help/opinion on floodlights or spotlights.

First let me give you a set up as to what I am trying to do:

For Halloween I am doing a grave yard.  Five rows of five tombstones.  Each tombstone will have it's own floodlight connected to a single channel.  

I made my own lights by taking these cheap solar floods from Big Lots, gutting them and mounted a C9 vampire socket and used a C9 LED replacement bulb.

Now each flood light will be right in front of the tombstones and they do illuminate them ok.

I am wondering if there is another type of LED bulb that will have an intermediate base (that will fit into my C9 sockets) and that's dimmable that will be a little more brighter.  They wouldn't need to be colored as I can just put a gel over the lens.

~OR~

Is there any floodlights/spotlights out there that are 110v that work well and are relatively cheap?  I need 25 of them so I'd like to stay in the $10 range if possible.

Thanks in advance everyone!

floodlights.jpg

Good Luck with finding LED spot/floodlights that are both dimmable and under or just at $10 that you're seeking.  

All I've seen are usually within the $20-$50+ price range.     I wanted to do something similar, but the cost is still too prohibitive as of this posting.

Hopefully if there is such a LED spot/floodlight, and someone here does know where to get them, they'll post it here.   But I have been unsuccessful in finding any.   Just passing on my search and experience trying to find them.

Edited by Orville

Thanks Orville,

I have not had much luck either.  I did run across these on eBay which are avialible in E17 base so they would work in my floods that I have now.  I think I will order one to try it out and if it works, bite the bullet and buy the rest.  

Anyone else ever try these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimmable-LED-Spotlights-bulb-3W-5W-Warm-White-Red-Green-Blue-Yellow-E27-GU10/171174641243?rt=nc

Thanks Orville,

I have not had much luck either.  I did run across these on eBay which are avialible in E17 base so they would work in my floods that I have now.  I think I will order one to try it out and if it works, bite the bullet and buy the rest.  

Anyone else ever try these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimmable-LED-Spotlights-bulb-3W-5W-Warm-White-Red-Green-Blue-Yellow-E27-GU10/171174641243?rt=nc

May have to do the same.  Those look pretty good and price @ $5.99 each isn't bad {4 pk you do save a little money}, 3W 4pk = $19.99/ 5W 4pk =$29.99 and free shipping.    

May just have to bite the bullet myself and order a 4 pk of green 5W ones to see how well they work with the CTB16PC controllers.  

Although 5W may be overkill and the 3W may work sufficiently, but thinking the 5W will definitely give better and brighter illumination for tombstones or "off season" lighting for my Garden/Pond area.

I'd have to contact them as my spot/floodlight fixtures are all E27 standard household lamp base types.  Don't have any C9 {E17} sockets.  Hopefully the cost would still remain close to the same.

Edited by Orville

I did end up ordering one yesterday to try out.  I have the same controller so I'll post back how it works.  I can't foresee any problems outside of either it works or doesn't work?  

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my bulb and it works great.  Extremely bright.  I turned around and ordered another 2 dozen of different colors.  Pretty fast shipment too.  I ordered on the 4th and got it on the 13th so a little over a week.

So I got my bulb and it works great.  Extremely bright.  I turned around and ordered another 2 dozen of different colors.  Pretty fast shipment too.  I ordered on the 4th and got it on the 13th so a little over a week.

Thanks Jason.   As soon as my wifes relative comes and buys off the bedroom furniture they want, I'll have to order a few to use in my display.  Glad to hear the shipping is fast and the LED flood works out very well.

BTW: Did you order the 3W or the 5W type?

Edited by Orville

• 1 year later...

Hey guys. I came across this old thread and was wondering if anyone can offer feedback on these particular bulbs. I still can't find any other than the ones you found, and I really would love some feedback on how they worked for you. These will be outside exposed to the weather. Have yours been used outdoors? How did they last? I have to order some, like, yesterday, so anything you can share is awesome.

Also, are there any new ones on the market that are better?

Wish I could say, but the bedroom furniture sale didn't go through.  Wife's relative decided to not take the furniture, so I never got the funds to buy and and try them out as yet.   Hopeully something will turn up and I can try these out too.   Wanted some for Halloween this year as I have the same flood light fixtures Jason gutted.  So my plans are to eventually gut mine and redo them using standard E27 lamp base L.E.D. bulbs in different colors.  Need some to use for Christmas too!

But as long as they are kept in a pretty watertight and weatherproofed housing, they should hold up fine outside in the elements.

I recommend that you switch them over to RGB you can use your existing gutted garden light enclosures and replace the C9 bulb with one of these in each light: http://www.holidaycoro.com/12v-RGB-Square-Module-p/57.htm then you can use a  30 channel dmx RGB controller like this or you could use the LOR CMB24D to control them, keep in mind that if you want 25 tombstones to have individual control you will most likely need 3 control boards.