Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Issues

derekb

My setup is below and I am getting errors trying to setup the network in LOR network config. It keeps telling one of the DMX dongles are using the same COM port as the LOR dongle. Checking all COM ports shows this is not true. Yes, I have used MPROG to change the actual name of the Actidongles so they are all different in firmware, and the newer one that I have already has a random name. Holidaycoro does not see anything wrong with my setup and said usually for 3 universes and above people switch to E1.31. LOR's only advise was to use their supported products. So, first has anyone ever come across this after doing all the suggested changes in the forums and found a solution. Secondly, do you guys recommend going to E1.31. If so, any good suggestions on the easiest to setup and get working with LOR and the devices listed below? Thanks!

Windows 8.1 Laptop

Most recent version of LOR S3 Advanced

2 LOR high speed dongles, 1 running a primary network for all my CTB16PC controllers, 1 running my CCR's.

1 actidongle to tinypix to 162 node pixel matrix sign #1

1 actidongle to tinypix to 162 node pixel matrix sign #2

1 actidongle to 3 channel dumb controller to 16 rectangle dumb RGB lights.

Had the same problem last year switched to a different brand of dongle and works fine ( also running three dongles)

Edited by Dennis Laff
  • Like 1

If anyone else has this issue in the future, I bought XDongles from Seasonal Entertainment and all COM port conflicts are gone.

Rather than going to multiple dongle route (lots of comm ports used)   I suggest going the E1.31 Dmx Protocol converter route.  Currently there are at least 2 of these on the market  (DIY LED Express   6 universe DMX  and J1 Sys  4 univese DMX) with these you do not need a dongle or crossover cable at all and you do NOT use any of your USB ports.  If you are using E1.31 already just plug them into your switch, they live and play well with E1.31 controllers on the same network.

I have been running the DIY LED Express 6 universe e 1.31 to DMX bridge. It works perfect I have a LOR network (USB) and a e 1.31 network(Network router) running.

I was reading the questions and comments on this post and I hope I may ask a stupid question.

I am running my show through the Showtime controller and not using my compute to control the show, only to create the sequences.

I'd like to use the Holiday Coro candy canes that use the smart pixels and Tiny Pix controller.

What do I need to do this?  The Showtime Controller has 2 ports to run 2 networks but I don't know how to do this. Do I need to use the iDMX 1000 to hook up to the Tiny Pix controller?   Seems like it's pretty expensive at 200 bucks.

What's the easiest and most inexpensive way to accomplish this?  I'd also like to run a DMX fog machine.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Eric

I ran a Director on a commercial job with using eLORs for interface from the Director to e1.31.  They will run more channels as one time then the iDMX1000 units.  I ran one from each of the two networks off the Director and they ran great! 

I'm not quite sure how to do that. The Showtime director/controller has 2 Cat 5 connections to run 2 networks. I have my other LOR controllers plugged into one of them. Can I plug the Tiny Pix controller directly into the second network or do I need to get something like the iDMX 1000?

I want whats easier and less expensive.

An eLOR is a sans device piece that converts LOR to dmx. It is a cheaper alternative.

Running off a computer is the easiest way to accomplish adding dmx. But since that is not an option, the next easiest would be to add the iDmx.

Another option is the eLOR. While not easier it may be cheaper.

To learn about the eLOR, go to sans devices web page.

I was reading the questions and comments on this post and I hope I may ask a stupid question.

I am running my show through the Showtime controller and not using my compute to control the show, only to create the sequences.

I'd like to use the Holiday Coro candy canes that use the smart pixels and Tiny Pix controller.

What do I need to do this?  The Showtime Controller has 2 ports to run 2 networks but I don't know how to do this. Do I need to use the iDMX 1000 to hook up to the Tiny Pix controller?   Seems like it's pretty expensive at 200 bucks.

What's the easiest and most inexpensive way to accomplish this?  I'd also like to run a DMX fog machine.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Eric

Two ways that I have used to accomplish what you're trying to do. First, your LOR network will be completely seperate than your DMX network, unless you're using the LOR controllers in DMX mode. But then, you still have AC components and DC components on the same network. I don't know if this is a problem. I just know it doesn't sound good and I, personally would not do it.

1. Actidongle (or compatible) to TinyPix to CoroCanes. Easiest but can get expensive and possibly run into the same problem the OP had when running multiple dongles.
  2. E1.31 to the E1.31 to DMX bridge jerrymac mentioned above, to up to 12 TinyPix controllers. The bridge spits out 6 DMX universes when using Multicast. If you use Unicast, it will do 12 universes. That's a bunch of pixels. Still easy to set up and get working. Probably a bit more expensive and overkill if you're just doing a single Universe, but, if you're planning on adding more pixels or basic RGB in future, eventually this will be your least expensive way to go.

Now, if you plan on a Pixel tree in future, I suggest looking into the E1.31 controllers for these and other large elements, but for the CoroCanes, you can run 10 of those with a single TinyPix controller. Don't forget to use power injection. I believe bob_moody did some CoroCanes last year and had to inject power after the third or fourth one. I'll see if I can find that thread.

If you're not wanting to add several universes of Pixels and/or RGB in future, then the # 1 idea I posted is, IMHO, the best route, being easy and relatively inexpensive.

Edit:

OK. Bob's How-to on the CoroCanes is on his website: 

http://moodychristmas.weebly.com/holidaycoro-candy-canes---2-part-series.html

He goes into his power problems and how he solved the problem. I am in the process of putting my CoroCanes together and I'm using his method

Edited by Ron Boyd

Okay, that helps a lot. I probably won't do it this year because this is my first year, but I would like to use the candy cane pixels, and maybe in the future some other pixel projects, perhaps the CCR tree.

My main problem is that I wanted to use the Dhowtime director and not my computer. I didn't want to have to run Cat 5 cables from my computer to outside. I know they have that wireless now but my computer is old and slow, and I'd hate to see my show freeze up in the middle of a sequence.

I like the iDMX and it looks like it's the easiest way but also way expensive! I was looking for other alternatives.

I love the Holiday Coro candy canes and want to try it the following year.

I like the iDMX and it looks like it's the easiest way but also way expensive! I was looking for other alternatives.

I love the Holiday Coro candy canes and want to try it the following year.

As plasmadrive and sax said above, the ELOR is a cheaper alternative to the iDMX. The kit version is $115 + shipping. It actually works like 4 iDMX devices, one with a wired DMX output, and all 4 over E1.31.

The things that the iDMX has, that the ELOR doesn't, is a case (although the iDMX isn't weatherproof either), XLR connectors, or LOR product support.

• Like 1

I like the less expensive option........looks like either one has to be mounted in a waterproof enclosure anyway.

Okay......another stupid question. I like that ELOR from San Devices but notice it doesn't have an XLR jack for the standard DMX. I have a fog machine I want to hook up.

Do you just cut a cable and them wire it to the screw terminals? How do you know what color wire goes where?

There are charts that show what pin does what. There are also xlr to cat 5 converters out there.

There are 3 pins on that xlr jack, signal, signal return and ground. Personally I would cut an xlr cable (mic cable is one) and solder on the board or attach to connectors if they are available if I were going to use xlr cables.

For dj accessories you probably will need to use xlr cables. But cat 5 cable is sooooo much cheaper.

You just need to find out which signal to put on which cable. There is a pin out in each dj accessory book describing what pin does what. Match to the elor.

Again, iDmx is plug and play.

FYI, when using cat 5, only the orange and orange/white cables are used. Holiday coro explains this real good on their page. Look for the 27 channel controller and he describes there in a video.

Or YouTube it.

• Like 1

Wikipedia has the pin-outs for XLR and RJ-45.

While you could use a mic cable, not only is it more expensive, but it's probably not the right impedance. A better solution is to buy an XLR connector to plug into your fog machine, and solder it to a Cat5 cable. White/orange goes to pin 3, orange/white goes to pin 2, and white/brown goes to pin 1. If it's a XLR-5, you could also hook white/green to pin 5 and green/white to pin 4, but these will never be used anyway.

Then hook the Cat5 to the J4 plug on the ELOR, starting on the left: white/brown, white/orange, orange/white.

DMX, as an RS-485 network, has Data +, Data -, and Signal ground. If you leave the signal ground disconnected, it will most often still work, but it's not the best practice.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the help. Looks like it's just a little it of work but I think I will do the Cat 5 option as you suggested and run that from the elor to the fog machine.

I have always stayed away from dmx but it doesn't sound too difficult if you just make sure the right wire goes to the right pin, and use the elor converter.

I will work to put this in my budget for the following year, the elor, a tiny pix controller, and a few coro candy canes.

Out of money for this year!