Light-O-Rama Forums

Youtube vs. Vimeo

Softball Shawn

For the upcoming year I wanted to upload some videos of my display from my new GoPro. I see some of you use Vimeo and some use YouTube. What are the pros/cons for YouTube vs Vimeo?

UTube is far more harassing, radical and aggressive regarding copyright issues with music. Vimeo seems to have a much clearer grasp of what constitutes 'fair use".

IMO the video quality seems better on Vimeo.

YouTube may get you more eyeballs, but much higher risk of getting videos removed. I stick with vimeo.

I started with Youtube last year and had all sorts of problems with copy right issues and adds on mobile devices. Switched to Vimeo and haven't had an issue since with them. I'll definately be sticking with Vimeo for the foreseeable future. 

I'm switching to Vimeo this year. I have a few videos going back 6 years on YouTube.   I have also had the problems mentioned above, but I have viewer who report problems viewing YouTube.

I'm planning on creating a Vimeo channel this summer and loading everything there.

If I was starting today I would go with Vimeo.

I use Vimeo but their search engine sucks, badly!  I had several videos with a specific tittle and when I search for them, if I didn't put that tittle in quote marks.. they never came up.. or if they did it was about 14 pages back.  Still with quote marks there were videos that were completely unrelated and nothing in the tittle that would suggest they belong..

So, they are easier to use but they really need to fix that search... I even dropped my paid subscription because of the poor search.

• 2 weeks later...