Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC Controllers power cords

ericg2000

I've read numerous posts where people say they are using a "triple tap" adapter to plug the 2 cords coming from the CTB16PC into a single extension cord. It seems logical to use a double instead of a triple but I can't find any searcing the web. Does anyone have a source for an outdoor double tap adapter?

Hmmmmm, can't find a double? Maybe that is why they use a triple. Just yanking your chain, most of the cords that are available come with a triple built in.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_618050-66906-UTAD50702___?productId=50244779&pl=1&Ntt=triple+extension+cord

Edited by Mr. P

A double tap is extremely rare, most will always be in multiples of 3 or 6, like the ones that convert a double outlet to a 6 outlet.

However, if you really want just a double tap, what I would do is buy an outdoor outlet enclosure, a standard double outlet{or more expensive outdoor outlet} receptacle and wire it up.  Make sure you weather proof it by using a sealer around any exposed areas that would allow water to get inside.   Now you've just made your own double tap.  

I have actually used this method from time to time when a triple isn't needed, or I'd just buy those plastic child proof outlet covers and install one in the remaining unused outlet connection on the triple tape extension cord, they do very well to keep water out of the remaining unused outlet on the cord.  I also use them on ALL my light/L.E.D. strands and any cord that has an open female end or open female end on the male/female pass through.

Has kept GFCI trips way down.   But still try and keep ANY connections elevated where 2 cords come together.  Just better to be safe by doing this.

Edited by Orville

• 1 month later...

The last few years I have been removing one of the two cords.   All the controller channels have only one string of LEDs on them so I power multiple controllers from a single house circuit.  

This year, instead of removing the second power cord, I replaced it with a receptacle.   Now I can daisy chain them together without short extension cords and triple taps. 

rewiredCTB16PC.jpg

• Like 1

Doh.....

Brilliant - wish I would have read this sooner as I've been converting my controllers down to one cord this year. 

The last few years I have been removing one of the two cords.   All the controller channels have only one string of LEDs on them so I power multiple controllers from a single house circuit.  

This year, instead of removing the second power cord, I replaced it with a receptacle.   Now I can daisy chain them together without short extension cords and triple taps. 

rewiredCTB16PC.jpg

I'm presuming the new female dangle connects to the same electrical connections it's original male counterpart was connected at inside the controller?   Before I make any changes like this, want to be sure that I'm connecting it to the same terminals or at the very least to the correct terminals inside the controller to make it a "pass through" connection to the next controller.

Like the idea because not only does it cut down the extra extension cord{s}, it also possibly would cut down the cat5 jumper{s} from controller to controller, so now there's less likely to be any "electrical interference" from any rogue extension cords that would or possibly might get too close to what would have been the longer cat5 cable runs between controllers!   So yet, there's another advantage to this method.

• The topic was locked