Light-O-Rama Forums

Cutting up CCR and maximum distances

Jay Czerwinski

I had an idea to cut up a CCR and use the pixels in different areas of my display that have some distance between them.  

e.g. I have many pumpkins with a single light bulb inside that I now light with a 16 channel controller.  (16 pumpkins max and only one color.)    I thought that maybe I could cut up a CCR and put a pixel in each pumpkin for not much more money than a 16 channel controller.  (Up to 50 pumpkins and in any color!)

The problem I imagine would be with the distances between the segments.  But I am sure I am not the first to think of this, so can you please share any other problems and if you know of a way to solve them? 

Thank you for sharing!

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

First, you do realize, that will void the warranty on the CCR, right?

That said, I would think, if they are about the same as other pixels, as long as each pixel is within about 10-15 feet of the last, you should be OK. Now, there is no possible way that you will be able to power these as you normally do. Depending on the distance apart, you will need to inject power, and inject a lot if they're spread out. If it will be say, like a row of mini trees, just a few feet apart, then the injection will be less and further apart. Best way to test this theory, is to get them all set up, create a sequence of all white, and run the sequence. Where the white starts to dim, that's where you'll need to inject power.

Here is a video from David Moore's blog on how to extend between pixels: http://blog.holidaycoro.com/2014/05/soldering-extension-wire-onto-strip.html

Here's one on Power drop: http://blog.holidaycoro.com/2013/05/a-demonstration-of-effects-of-power.html

Hope this helps a bit.

Honestly probably better off using CCP or CCB instead,

They are cheaper then a CCR anyway

Thanks Ron for the links! I'll check them out when I get back to a computer!

Honestly probably better off using CCP or CCB instead, They are cheaper then a CCR anyway

1983ss454, I find a CCR puts off a lot more light than a CCP. I'm assuming a CCB is just a CCP with a lens on top, so I can't imagine it is any brighter. I do know that my CCPS are much more directional than a CCR. Last year for Halloween I used 2 CCRs as a flood light on the house mounted on a PVC pipe system about a foot off the ground. (The CCRs are normally used in arches for Christmas) I was impressed at how much light they put off and the control I had over them was amazing - imagine having things in front of the CCR floods that cast shadows on the house - selecting different pixels made spooky shadow movements all around. My only limitation was that the pixels were connected to each other. So this idea came to my head to just cut up a strip. But I think I can experiment with your CCP idea too. Thanks! I think though I would have the same power concerns as mentioned in the links above.

Edited by Jay Czerwinski

Yes in this instance CCP's aren't as bright for sure, but I have found them to be pretty bright even diffused through pex tubing as my arches are. Any time you spread around pixels like that you will have power issues. Only thing I can say is that with the CCP's you can place multiple pixels in each element, seeing as though there is 100 pixels compared to the 50 on the CCR

Yes in this instance CCP's aren't as bright for sure, but I have found them to be pretty bright even diffused through pex tubing as my arches are. Any time you spread around pixels like that you will have power issues. Only thing I can say is that with the CCP's you can place multiple pixels in each element, seeing as though there is 100 pixels compared to the 50 on the CCR

Excellent point - I was just thinking $/device and not $/pixel! And I bet the power injection is the same - and maybe even easier waterproof wiring with the CCPs. Hmmmm.....

I use dumb RGB for my pumpkins (which are funkins). Control with 27 channel dmx controller, I use 5 of the 4 led square modules per pumpkin, I glue the lights behind the cut out of the face for reflected light at a cost of about $6 per pumpkin (for the controller and bulbs). With dumb I can go 125' easy without power issues.

But this is off your topic. If you are trying to find a home for CCR and minimize cost by using what you already have then this is way off target.

I can say, however, that I have cut my CCRs to fit on the roof but I have not extended or added to them.

But with my light strips from china, which look very close to CCR (but cost $20 per roll so I don't mind cutting them up), I am able to get 25' between pixels in testing. One pixel is 3 LEDs since I am using 12 volts. After cutting I use silicone to protect from the elements. If it is more than 25' I get confused color to no control. Not a loss of color as I expected.

But you should test for yourself. Hopefully our tests will be similar.

I use dumb RGB for my pumpkins (which are funkins). Control with 27 channel dmx controller, I use 5 of the 4 led square modules per pumpkin, I glue the lights behind the cut out of the face for reflected light at a cost of about $6 per pumpkin (for the controller and bulbs). With dumb I can go 125' easy without power issues.

But this is off your topic. If you are trying to find a home for CCR and minimize cost by using what you already have then this is way off target.

I can say, however, that I have cut my CCRs to fit on the roof but I have not extended or added to them.

But with my light strips from china, which look very close to CCR (but cost $20 per roll so I don't mind cutting them up), I am able to get 25' between pixels in testing. One pixel is 3 LEDs since I am using 12 volts. After cutting I use silicone to protect from the elements. If it is more than 25' I get confused color to no control. Not a loss of color as I expected.

But you should test for yourself. Hopefully our tests will be similar.

sax, Not off topic at all!!  Thank you!  I am intrigued by the DMX solution and may be contacting you PM in the future for further understanding.   I love CCRs and I don't mind voiding the warranty by cutting them up - but yes, it is an expensive experimentation for sure!  

• The topic was locked