Light-O-Rama Forums

Converting battery power to wall outlet?...

Notisopse

I'm not sure if this is even feasibly possible, but I figured I'd get the best answer here. I have decorations that are battery-operated that I would like to put on an onn/off timer. To do this it would obviously need to be plugged in to the timer. Is there any way to modify a battery-operated decoration so it can be plugged into the wall and just run off of that electricity instead?

Thanks.

I have done this to many of my wife's decorations inside.  Save's a lot of $$$ in batteries.  I look for cheap used plugs, cut the Power Connector Tip off and solder the wires to the battery connectors on the decoration.  (Not the batteries) Just make sure to connect + to + and - to -.  Sometimes I drill a small hole in the battery door for the wire to go through.

I convert my battery operated items to ~AC~ power using wall adapters{warts} as well.  Just make sure the output voltage of the wall adapter is the same as the unit being converted.  

I usually install a small jack that mates to the adapters output jack/plug in the item being converted, but I also use and add in a Full Wave Diode Bridge{FWDB} to prevent any accidental reverse voltages from occurring since some adapters are wire reversed of others.  

Just connect the new DC jack to the ~AC~ terminals of the FWDB, then connect the + from the FWDB to the + of the battery box contact or PC board + from the battery box contact, - from FWDB goes to - battery box contact.  

This way you can use any adapter with the correct voltage to power the device no matter how it's output may be wired.

It's not quite the same, but I found a battery-powered jack-o-lantern that I wanted to use in my show. I found the simple method was to simply remove the battery holder and all electronics, then glue a C-7 socket with an LED retrofit bulb and plug it directly into the wall.