Light-O-Rama Forums

Best way to hook into an existing sound system?

CagneyZoo

What is the best way to hook the program up to an existing sound system? 

Here is what I have:

I have the program on a laptop that I am housing the the basement of a terrace building (this is at a zoo).  All the lights are just upstairs with the controller.  There is a sound system upstairs that is controlled in the basement.  Is it best to just get a wireless transmitter for the laptop and for the controller upstairs?  How well do they do with concrete walls, as the basement has about 1' thick concrete walls.  

My other option would be to run a cat5 out the door and up the side of the building to the controller, but that could be a pain.

Thanks!

My computer is in an home office room as such with a driveway between there and the controllers and so on. So, rather than running a connection out there AND since I'm running an FM transmitter, I just put a FM receiver in the garage, connected to a couple of outdoor speakers. Tune the receiver to the same frequency as any cars listeing out there at night, instant sound! The receiver is in the garage as I said so its not exposed to any rain, snow or ice. Speakers were made for outside use.

BTW, I also run the controllers via ELL's from LOR...(wireless)

Edited by dgrant

Hard wire of you can. I did some wireless audio and sometimes things would go wrong and I'd come home to static blaring away on my outdoor speakers. But I know wireless can work well, so I'm just sayin' "wire of you can."

Go  with a good FM Transmitter and set your stereo set in the other room to the frequency. Works perfect, outside cars can hear it over their radios, passer-bys can hear it over your speakers and everything is in synch. Plus absolutely no wiring runing up and down, out and around the house. Easy to set up and easy to break down after the season is over.

It is a the best 456 bucks you will ever spend.

A sonos connect is great, it will play music on non light days and has a line in for your light o roma sequence. and you can adjust volume from your smart phone remotely

I tend to use both an FM transmitter and temporary outdoor rock speakers. Best of both worlds.

And don't forget about the lighted frequency sign. ;)

• 2 weeks later...