Light-O-Rama Forums

Fuse box Vs. Circuit Breaker

knexster

I just bought a house that has a 200 amp fuse box instead of a circuit breaker.  I have been encouraged to convert to a circuit breaker but I am not sure this is an expense I want to take on.  Not only am I new to owning my own home, I am relatively new to LOR; last Christmas was my first time using LOR.  Would it be adventageous to change to a circuit breaker in the interest of my light show?  There appears to be plenty of GFCI outlets around the house.  The main reason I ask this is because last year my show would continuously trip the breaker when it was raining outside, I imagine this scenario with replacing fuses and it feels like that could be both expensive and uneccssarily stressful. 

Any and all tips are greatly appreciated! :)

last year my show would continuously trip the breaker when it was raining outside,

This is likely because the breaker that tripped was a GFCI breaker. One disadvantage of a GFCI breaker is that it may not tell you if it tripped because of a ground fault or because of an overload.

You can actually just install GFCI breaker(s) (outlet types) for your display at a foirly low cost. 

The fuses panel should be fine. I agree that it was most likely GFCI trips last year. If you were tripping breakers on over current you have bigger problems.

Get a kill a watt meter. And apply the 80% rule to the circuits that have the lights. No self respecting lighting display operator would be caught without a Kill a Watt meter.  And I agree with those who already said that they bet that the C.B. was one with GFI built in.

• Like 1